SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaandjay

Advice on Replacement Heating/AC Systems

Vaandjay
13 years ago

We're replacing an 18-year old furnace with a cracked heat exchanger and we'll get the AC replaced at the same time because it's near 17 years old and the furnace/AC coil fit tightly in our finished basement. We're in a 60-year old small brick colonial (600 sq ft on each level, so 1800 including the drafty basement) in Maryland, near DC. We're replacing an 88,000 btu 90% NG furnace and a 2-ton AC unit. Both have seemed to be sufficient for our house.

We are looking for reliability and value, as we do not expect to be in the house more than another 5 years. All of the contractors I've contacted have gotten excellent reviews in a local consumers publication that rates service providers.

Which of these do you think are the best options? For the "Total cost" below, I've already adjusted for the tax credit where it applies. The only unit where it doesn't apply is the Trane quote on the AC. That contractor said that our old house would do better with a little less efficient model for air flow reasons and also mentioned that it's a tight space for the coil needed for the 2-stage Trane AC.

GOODMAN

Furnace: 2-Stage GMVC950905dx (92,000/64,000) (95%)

AC: 2-ton SSX160241 (16 SEER)

Coil: CAPF3636c6

Total Cost (after tax credit): $6,400

CARRIER PERFORMANCE SERIES

Furnace: 2-stage 58HDV080 (80,000/56,000) (95%)

AC: 2-ton 24APA7 Performance� 17 (17 SEER)

Coil: Not mentioned

This contractor seems very knowledgeable and is highly rated locally but his bid was simply an email that did not mention any specific model numbers. I figured them out based on the figures he gave. I would ask for a formal bid if I chose him.

Total Cost (after tax credit): $6,400

TRANE

Furnace: 1-Stage XR95 (76,000) (95%)

AC: 2-ton XR-15 (15 SEER) (no tax credit)

Coil: T4TXCB025BC3HCA

Total Cost (after tax credit): $5,700

Finally, as the TRANE contractor was the last person I saw and the first that recommended less than 16 SEER, any estimate on how much I'd save up front by getting a 14 SEER Carrier or Goodman versus the 16-17SEER models quoted?

Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Comments (13)