SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

basic layout critique--tiny breakfast bar?

Fori
11 years ago

How small can a coffee bar be? I'm thinking of a 24" lower cab with a 18" upper, perhaps 33ish" wide. It would go in a corner between two doorways with the user's backside pointing at the breakfast nook. I don't need a sink there because my kitchen is conveniently proportioned (ie. small) but if I did, I would want the instant hot dispenser there.

My coffee pot is about 6" in diameter. I guess I could put the toaster there also. Maybe a sugar bowl?

Would a 33" wide set of cabinets look stupid or would it look like I meant to do it?

Here is a rough drawing (if you can turn this room into a nice office, I can do a kitchen as an addition instead, but I can't figure out another use for this kitchen shaped room so it's staying a kitchen). The pocket door on the right goes to the foyer. The door on the left goes to a hall with pantry storage, a powder room, a door to the backyard, a dog, and a door to the garage. The door on the bottom can be moved around a bit since it doesn't exist anymore. It makes the most sense to leave it about where I have it drawn. That door goes to the dining/family room and living room.

The red X at the bottom left is the proposed breakfast bar location. Currently the refrigerator is there. Weird.

I realize the ovens open into a doorway. It's like that now, and it was like that in my last house before and after remodeling. It's fine. (Except for the smoke detector in the foyer.)

Any suggestions on the general layout? I have 18" over 30" cabinets on the sink side. The kitchen is 9' wide and that might be too squishy. 2 adults and 2 kids. I was trying to figure out a way to do it without the sink and cooktop butt-to-butt but it probably doesn't matter. Probably get a FD or SxS builtin fridge to make it less obtrusive. In theory, near the table is better, but like I said before, the kitchen ain't that big!

thanks! f

Comments (2)