SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamecock43

Renovating a house and my decorating choices are getting off kilt

gamecock43
13 years ago

Hey,

I'm mostly posting this to sort out my own confused head. My husband and I purchased an early 1900's historic townhouse and we are renovating almost top to bottom.The place had previously been a section 8 duplex last renovated in the 80s.

When we finished demo we discovered the back wall was sinking and had been dragging the rest of the house with it. And the people who turned the structure into a duplex- cut several major beams and added load bearing walls without adding any supports underneath. So our budget nearly doubled to fix everything.

Sheetrock finally went up last week. This week the trim and moulding is going up. Next week is painting and installing fixtures!

My decorating tastes have suddenly...well I'm doubting them.

I cant find the perfect grey/lavender color for our dining room. I have spent so much money on little samples of paint and it is either disney purple or muddy brownish or too dark. My GC who has seen all these samples on the wall told his wife about them and now she (a friend of mine) told me not to paint any of the rooms purple.

I cant find a decent gold color for our hallway. I'm looking for a little bold but barely bold. Everything I get looks like creme. And do gold and grey/lavender look good next to one another? The two rooms are adjoining.

I had a local stained glass shop create these 2 diamond shaped windows to go up our stairway (which will be painted in the gold) and the windows are a clear design but 1 has an accent of purple and the other has an accent of blue. The 2 colors look pretty next to one another, and the purple one will be seen from the grey/lavender dining room, and the blue will be seen in the hallway of the 2nd floor where almost all the bedrooms will be a variation of blue. But my GC has told me a few times that he hates them. He would rather I dont put them in. I spent $400 on them plus the labor of getting them encased in wood trim. So now I'm holding off installing them and if I choose not to install them my husband will never let me hear the end of all the money we spent making them.

I was searching for furniture looking vanities for a few months and couldnt find anything below $500 that I liked. This weekend HD had a vanity sale offering them at $200 each (for non furnature looking ones). I bought 2 and now I hate them. DH wont let me return them b/c they are sitting on our 3rd floor and they are a bear to move. He doesnt want to carry them back down 2 flights of stairs. And he does not want to buy vanities for $500 each when we have perfectly good ones for $200 each.

This weekend I went to a wholesale tile place that my tile installer loaned me his membership to. I wanted slate for our walk in shower and DH objected. I couldnt understand why since we had been planning to get slate tiles at HD for weeks. But at the wholesale place...I liked their tiles better. They were honed (ground smooth) and more even thickness, and prettier colors. DH hated it. He made my cry 4 seperate times in the store. Hours and hours of arguing later I found out that it was the price he was objecting to. He didnt want to pay $4/sq ft when HD charges $1.77/sq ft. We talked about the difference in quality and I was able to bring him to my side of thinking. He's now on board with slate at the higher price, but now I have my doubts. In the heat of argueing he told me "nobody likes slate. Thats why you've never seen a slate shower. Thats why the tile people cant answer all your questions without looking up the answers, its because no one orders it. Slate is ugly. No one wants it" In hindsite I know its because my DH was trying to get me to buy the .91 sq ft tile rather than the $4 tile, but now I'm worried my house will be cooky and clash-y and ugly.

I'm tired. But my kitchen is going to be beautiful. I know I got that one right. Well I think it will be. I got creme cabinets with a toasted almond glaze. I loved the sample I was shown, but reading online I know that the glaze does not always look very good because it depends on who has applied the glaze. And the sample is generally glazed by the best glazer...because its a sample. It has to look good. But even though the cabinets have not been delivered yet, if the glazing looks like the sample I was shown it will look great. Ugh. I am doubting my kitchen too now.

Comments (15)