SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countryboymo

Am I going about this right to get more return air?

countryboymo
15 years ago

I have a 3ton system and had a flow test done and infrared camera look around the house. The biggest problems are not enough return air and sealing problems especially the recessed lights.

If you have a 6x14 register in a 2x4 wall that is open 3.5x14 does that make any sense? I need at least double the air flow as what I have. The floor holes were 3.5x10 before!. I thought about opening the holes up into the closets to 6-7X14 in the two bedrooms while I am there. I can open the floor holes up to the full 3.5x14 without building the vent out into the closets. These two rooms are always cold in the winter and warm in the summer so I thought about opening the holes in the floor to match the registers. Am I out of line in my thinking?

The other two vents (one in master BR and the other in LR) are 6x30 which if fully open would be 6x28 with the stud in the space. The floor holes should be 3.5x28. I can open this one up to 6" or so in the floor also but take up a touch of closet space like the other bedrooms. The one in the LR will not be able to be modified other than getting a full 3.5x28 hopefully out of it.

I can add one more 6x30 register in the utility hallway off the living room easily and get another 3.5x28 or air there and add one more register on that side of the trunk that only has one 6x30.

Is part of my air problem the 2x4 walls with 6x14 and 6x30 vents and a 3.5 actual opening going to be a problem if I do not add a bunch more vents or open some up? Or am I thinking wrong and it is fine to have two 6x14 registers and two 6x30's with 2x4 walls in a 3 ton system??

If so would you open the walls up in the closets 4" or so to get a bigger openings in the floor for the bedrooms or just add more vents?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living