SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Two plants I think I am going to have to get.

thonotorose
15 years ago

I was at Wally World a few days ago. In the garden section of course. There I saw two plants that I just can't get out of my mind.

I passed them up then because they were both about $5 for one little five inch pot. But, they were so lovely.

The first was a Joseph's Coat type with large leaves, about 4"s across. The leaves were a lovely medium green and were splashed with large areas of a great bright pink.

The other was called "Navy Star Flower". It was a 1& 1/2 inch flower of a VERY bight, dark blue, ...almost a cobalt blue with only some purple. There was a little cone of bright yellow in the center.

I did read the herbaceus names but did not write them down. One was defiantly marked "against the law to propagate", so I won't be doing that. I have just the spot for one, though, as a specimen plant.

Do you have experience with these? Are they vigorous or are they prima dona's? I just hate to spend that kind of money and have the thing fall into a death state as soon as it enters my yard.

Comments (15)

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I have the Joseph's Coat in the same pot as a Cassia. It is a low grower and fills in the area around the base of the plant nicely. The colors change according to the season but it is in the second year now and is doing well. Mine does not get tall, don't know if yours is a different variety or not.

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

The bright pink joseph's coat could be called Party Time. I lost mine prob to overwatering. I'd love to try it again.
    My reg joseph's coat is sprawling under my plumeria. You can't kill it.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi V,

What the heck is WallyWorld? Send me an email if you can't say here...gotta see some pictures of these plants. Up til now I've always just grown tropicals in my yard but didn't really care if stuff was flowering or not. Now I'm realizing just how boring my yard is, thanks to GW...just consider me a late bloomer ;-)

Tom

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Tom,

Wally World is Walmart...that's so funny I thought everyone knew that was their nickname, LOL...Hey does anyone know if the nickname originated from the Chevy Chase Movie, National Lampoon's Vacation?

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you go, Tom.

My Mom needed to go to the pharmacy, right next door to the garden center and I succumbed. The pink is a true pink, not so red as here. The blue is a bit more purple. The foliage reminds me of torenia. It does not have a label except Navy Star Flower.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

I wonder if the navy blue flowering plant is one of the clematis integrifolia. It's one of the non-climbing clematis.
    I've attached a link. There are quite a few members of clematis integrifolia. Both plants are beautiful.
    I miss my clematis from up north. They thrived in our soil; I had about 20 different kinds.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful:

• barrierisland
    15 years ago

The correct name of the department you are in when you purchase plants is "Pharmacy". That is where you buy what keeps your body and soul alive. It is important to budget your money and time to stop in that department first, before heading out to more mundane departments.

• ginibee
    15 years ago

I believe it's a new introduction of a persian violet. Check out Exacum navy star and see if this matches.

Ginny

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I'd say Ginny is right, look at the two varieties at the link below...think I'll go check out my local "WallyWorld" ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Exacum Navy Star

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FloraBuds,

Just so you know, when I went back to the pharmacy to get my "medicine" for my Body and Soul, the exacums were in bad shape from over watering. Many of them had keeled over from damp rot.

And the Party Times were $6!, not five. Still, I am glad I went for them.

Does anyone know about their cultivation and growth haibits? The exacum looks like a ground cover to me.

Thanks to all for the id's.

Veronica

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just found some info. Exacum best in winter and in shade, except in winter. Highly susceptible to stem rot from being too wet.

Got to go get it out of the sun....

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Is it really as blue as tomnkath's link

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

I've grown exacum inside on my west facing bathroom window. They last for a while. I over/under water and kill them. I still buy them for their beauty and fragrance.
    If I planted it outside it would never survive the rains.

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The blue is remarkable!