easy method for plum jam?

rlegates

We have a santa rosa plum tree in our yard, and are expecting the harvest in about a month. I'd like to make jam this year, but want to find a method that doesn't require pitting the plums in advance (I have two kids and not enough time to pit zillions of plums). Somebody mentioned using a food mill to separate the pits after cooking the plums into a sauce. Does anybody have experience with a method like this? I don't need an exact recipe, just confirmation that it works before I invest in a food mill. Thanks!

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I can't see how a food mill wouold work for plum pits....perhaps one of those "chinese hat" things would after the fruit was cooked...
I just pit the plums....cook them up, measure, add equal amount of sugar to plum pulp, cook to jell stage and call it jam.
Linda C

Save    
canarybird01

My mom used to make small quantities of plum fridge jam by splitting a few plums and laying them on a roasting pan or cookie sheet and baking them in the oven until they were all jammy. Then scraping them into a jar or two to keep in the fridge for fast-use jam. I don't think she added sugar either.
That was easy and I guess she just didn't put the pits in the jars with the cooked plum.

SharonCb

Save    
denise8101214

I have tried just splitting the plums and throwing them in the pot to cook with the pits and fishing them out later. It is easier to just pit them first.

1 Like Save    
lpinkmountain

I made plum jam one year with itty bitty (but very tasty) yellow plums and it WAS a pain to pit them. I had a friend over and we did it together. The jam was fab BTW. That's why back in the day when people grew and/or preserved most of their own food, folks had lots of kids, lol! And that's why later when all those kids grew up they couldn't WAIT to buy the latest convenience food!
:)
Sorry I can't offer better advice, just sympathy!
Gardenweb has a "Harvest" forum, perhaps you could try posting the question there.

Save    
annie1992

I can't see how a food mill would take the pits out of plums either. I have a Squeezo, which is the stainless steel and industrial size VillaWare and it doesn't work well for pitting cherries, it would never handle plum pits.

Sorry.....

Annie

Save    
CA Kate z9

I recently made some Aprium Jam by roasting the whole apriums. I ended up fishing out the pits by hand because they were clogging up the Foley Mill. It would have been a lot less messy to have just removed the pits at the start.

Save    
rlegates

I found a method that works beautifully!

Cut the plums in half, roughly, but don't bother pitting or peeling them. Cook according to your favorite jam recipe (the fruit will cook off the pits). When the jam has jelled, pour it into a large-holed enamel colander over a large pot. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to work the jam through the colander, retaining all the pits. Ladle pit-free jam into jars, etc.

It can be a bit messy, but it's much easier and faster than pitting all the plums beforehand. Three dozen jars and counting...

3 Likes Save    
cora51

I just wash my plums and throw them in a large stockpot to slowly simmer. No water necessary as Santa Rosas or red plums are so juicy. When softened the pit falls away and I just strain it through a colander then a small sieve into another bowl. Pits are discarded to compost and pulp used to make jams, chutneys, Asian plum sauce or dessert purées. No patience with cutting up fruit! I haven’t tried a food mill ad I imagine pits are too big.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens How to Grow Your Own Juicy Plums
Easier than other stone fruits and with a variety of colors to choose from, plums are a versatile garden addition
Full Story
Moving 10 Easy Fixes for That Nearly Perfect House You Want to Buy
Find out the common flaws that shouldn’t be deal-breakers — and a few that should give you pause
Full Story
Green Decorating Easy Green: Cut Electricity Use With 15 Unplugged Home Devices
Crank up the energy savings, courtesy of household items that come into power the old-fashioned way: manually
Full Story