SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

New Recipe Review - June 2012

bbstx
11 years ago

So far, I've tried two new recipes so far this month. We had a jazz band play in the local park on Sunday evening. Several of us couples brought dishes for supper. Here were my contributions:

From the The Spontaneous Hausfrau

Pineapple and Black Bean Salad

3 cups fresh pineapple, diced

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup corn kernels

1/2 cup red pepper, diced

1/3 cup red onion, minced

2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped

3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 teaspoon agave syrup

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients together. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Will keep for at least 3 days in the refrigerator.

Serves 6 - 8

I also took Layered Mediterranean Dip from Annie's Eats

Yield: 1 12-inch round plate of dip

For the cilantro pesto:

1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/3 cup olive oil, divided

2 tbsp. pecans

2 tbsp. pine nuts

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

To assemble the dip:

Hummus

Cilantro or basil pesto

Cucumber, seeded and diced

Red onion, diced

Banana peppers, chopped

Sliced olives (black or Kalamata)

Crumbled feta cheese

Oven-dried tomatoes*

DIRECTIONS

To make the cilantro pesto, combine the cilantro, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, pecans, and pine nuts in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse repeatedly until a coarse paste forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the processor running, add the remaining olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan. (If storing for later use, drizzle with a thin film of olive oil, cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto, and store in an airtight container.)

To assemble the dip, spread a layer of hummus on a serving platter. Spread the cilantro or basil pesto over the top of the hummus. Layer evenly with cucumber, red onion, banana peppers, olives, feta, and oven-dried tomatoes as desired. Garnish with an additional few tablespoons of minced fresh cilantro. Serve with pita chips.

*To make the oven dried tomatoes, preheat the oven to 225˚ F. Place the tomatoes in a small baking dish in a single layer, cut side facing up. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. Bake for about 3 hours, or until the tomatoes are mostly shriveled up. Refrigerate until ready to use.

My changes were: I used prepared refrigerated basil pesto; prepared hummus; and kalamata olives, sliced. I omitted the banana peppers.

Comments (25)