SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inspiredisabel

Paint corner hutch... or not?

inspiredisabel
13 years ago

I am new to these forums just found them this past weekend and I am addicted!

I have been pondering over painting this corner hutch in my dining/living area for several months. My MIL had it custom made and I just love it. But I am just not sure about the color. I have included a few shots of it and the room it is in. I generally prefer painted wood but I know that natural wood can be a nice balance at times.

So should I paint it? And if I do, what color? I probably wouldn't paint the inside regardless of the outside color. It has such a pretty beadboard backing.

Thanks so much!

Comments (39)

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

I would not paint it because it looks beautiful as is and it seems to match your larger hutch. They may not be in the same room now but in the future, well who know.
    I am not one of the ones that always says do not paint wood pieces. I often like them painted but in this case I would not. By the way I love how you arrainged it.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I wouldn't paint it. You have enough painted pieces and it offers a break. I might change out the handles. You have some very pretty pieces inside it, but have you tried spreading out the pitchers to all 3 shelves?

Dee

• Related Discussions

duncan phyfe corner hutch ???? looking for!!!

Q

Comments (0)
    Years ago we had a store nearby that sold Duncan Phyfe reproductions and they had a corner hutch. The store is long gone Â.. any idea where to find one of these units? Thanks in advance for any help,,,,,KC
    ...See More

Can I use Mom's corner hutch with any of my 3 tables?

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for all your opinions! A while back there was a thread on the conversations side about how hard it is to get rid of family furniture that has been passed down. I took it to heart and am going to lose most of it. My last house was full of family "antiques". My Grandmother's old school desk, chests of drawers....sooooo much stuff. My Mom's corner hutch is the one thing I want to keep. It's in perfect condition and the wood is beautiful. While I adore painted furniture, I just can't see painting it like cooper suggested. Maybe I just have a blind spot where this piece is concerned. DH is giving me all of Saturday. He will be my chauffeur in Chicago. We'll first go to the Toms-Price (nice furniture retailer)outlet store and then to a regular Toms-Price. I love shopping but I hate buying. Once I've made a decision on a large purchase, I always second guess myself. What should be pleasurable just ends up being stressful.
    ...See More

painted hutch with stained dining table?

Q

Comments (20)
    I am looking for a corner piece because the space I have is pretty small and I think the room will look better if I remove the hutch I currently am using, besides the fact that the current hutch is not the right color to match my grandmother's set. I don't think I want to paint the current hutch and I like the built in look of the painted corner hutch. I thought about the pediment piece maybe making it a little too tall also; the seller told me it measured 85" tall and it should just make it. I wonder if the pediment can be removed? I really like the arched door, but I also found yet another corner hutch locally that is a little simpler. Not sure it goes with my stuff either though. Thoughts?
    ...See More

Should I paint the pine backing of the hutch?

Q

Comments (9)
    Wallpaper won't work, it would be a disaster. Those are pine boards in the back and they will move 1/2" or more seasonally, shrink in the winter and expand in the summer. Any wallpaper would look good for until that movement starts, then its going to wrinkle or tear. If you decide to paint the knotty pine be sure to shellac the knots, about three coats, prior to painting or you will get bleed through. Brick red would look good for a secondary color on the black, and show off your ivory dishes nicely. Duane Collie
    ...See More
  • jlj48
    13 years ago

I love it as is, I have one almost identical to it, I love your style, and I would not paint it!

• makeithome
    13 years ago

inspiredisabel- I would love to see more shots of your room, if you don't mind. Your room looks a LOT like mine, and I'd love to see your other pieces. You floors are similar, your fireplace is almost identical (except that mine is currently lacking a mantle) and you have a similar color scheme to what I am planning.

So pretty!

And I would NOT paint the corner hutch. It's very pretty as is.

• User
    13 years ago

I think it looks very nice as is and wouldn't paint it.

I know you said you don't want to paint the back but I was going to say, just to change it up, you could paint posterboard and with a little painters tape, attach it to the backs. I did this to the ends of e.stand because I wouldn't dream of actually paintint the wood. I'm really happy with it.

• lorriekay
    13 years ago

No paint. It looks so good against the whites you have in there.

pretty

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Let me start by saying what a marvelous touch you have! Love your displays and home.

Off the cuff I would paint it.

Thinking long term though I agree w/ Lyban: Who knows what or where it would be in the future. I have a quite a few pieces that I've painted and sort of regret and I have a bunch of pieces that I've painted and love.

The difference between the 2 groups? The group that I sort of regret painting I did off the cuff. The pieces that I did paint and love I lived w/ for years.

Your corner hutch is really nice. How long have you lived w/ it?

I painted my corner hutch BM Revere Pewter and love it however I also acquired it painted.

I have a ruetic natural wood hutch from Bali (I think) that I keep my ironstone in and I love how the rusticness of the hutch plays against the feminine charms of my ironstone. I'd never change or paint it in a million trillion years.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I think it visually weighs with the TV armoire, but would be tempted to paint it anyway. It does look like a nice piece, but I certainly understand getting tired of something and wanting a change.

I would think about a medium light color on the exterior and use a darker version (two shades darker?) of that color on the interior. Something that would allow your white pieces to stand out.

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

I place myself firmly in the "No painting" camp. Absolutely not.

Your house is really lovely! The hutch balances out your beautiful light and airy look.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

I probably wouldn't paint it, either. I'm not opposed to painting it; actually (from the photos on my monitor) I might consider it because that corner looks so dark compared to the rest of your room. Since it's from your MIL, how does your DH feel about painting it?

THAT said - I would spread the pitchers out (inmo the middle shelve could use more white), consider changing the hardware to the less-heavy look AND consider changing the color inside. Look up Shee's post on how she non-permanently changed the inside back color of her piece. I have attached light pieces or fabric on the back of my units; it makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck in your decision-making process. Welcome to this talented, compassionate, caring forum!!!

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank so much for the comments!

I've only had it in the house for about 6 mths. I waffle constantly on paint or no paint so I was hoping your opinions would help sway me! lol.

deeinohio - I haven't really moved things around since I put everything in there. I guess I can take the time to play with it though! I will say I do mostly like the pitchers grouped but I can probably spread a cpl around since I have so many.

makeithome - thank you! The room is very long and narrow so it makes getting a whole shot difficult especially with my cell phone. But here are a few more pics...

sheesharee - thanks for the tip! I have also seen where you could do pretty patterned scrapbook paper in the back too!

ttodd - thanks for your input! As of now I am totally out of space in my house for furniture, every nook and cranny is filled! I have a shopping problem. : P But perhaps it could be moved somewhere later and I would regret the paint.

allison - that one my thing was that the pine armoire is all the wood I would want. And you're right the 2 wood pieces are on the same side.

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

I'm in the "do not paint it" group, but understand the temptation. I love the one pattern painted piece you do have--how unique!!

One thing I'd suggest is to remove the greenery pot above it. It looks a little crowded. Do you have an outlet nearby? I'd be tempted to either put some white Christmas lights hidden on top to add a little up light to the corner and interest in the evening, or other light inside the cabinet to highlight your pretty pieces.

• jlj48
    13 years ago

I have a little greenery with Christmas lights on top of miine.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok - so I added a couple more white plates on the middle shelf. better? I tried spreading a cpl pitchers around too but there is no room! Will play with it more and also a paper backing. hmm. looking at it again maybe I should take that branch outta there.

The hardware is something I want to change but was waiting to see if I was going to paint it or not.

hilltop - that topiary on top was just haphazardly placed there because it didn't have a home and the top looked empty. There is a plug behind the cabinet but wouldn't be easy to get to for unplugging during the day.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

I really prefer your original arrangement which had just the right balance to my eye. The branch seems off now because of the distraction posed by the additional white plates whereas before it felt more organic. I also liked the two white birds where they were. Sorry, you'll never be able to please everyone, but I honestly loved the original. Trust your instincts.

Also, I'd vote no to painting the hutch as you have a lot of painted pieces already and the natural wood seems perfect. Love the stenciled piece also.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I can't add anything to the discussion of painting your hutch, but I did want to say how lovely your home is. I'm glad you found this site because I think you are going to be able to use your great eye to weigh in on others' questions here and add a lot to the discussions. I especially love the fullness/completed look of your decorating style without it looking cluttered or junky. Your mantle is sparsely decorated and perfect. I, too, prefer your original hutch arrangement; and please leave the branch - it was the perfect unexpected touch in there.

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

I think your mix of natural wood and painted furniture is beautiful. You have the right touch and have created such a pretty home! Love your style and would love to know where you shop!

• jlj48
    13 years ago

I like the second arrangement better without the branch. Also, my plug is behind my cabinet also so I never unplug mine. If you're not comfortable with that, you can buy extension cords with dials on them to turn them off and on.

• rosie
    13 years ago

I suspect in your place I'd paint it (maybe leave the inside as is?), and here's why: Your arrangements seem to show a preference for relatively little strong light-dark contrast on the walls, which is my own preference.

I only learned after years of living and tossing inspiration pages torn out of magazines into a box that I like a lot of harmony in a room and little in the way of dramatic contrast--just enough to make it all work. Contrast when it's needed up high I like in small doses--maybe a thin black curtain rod on a white wall with white curtains. Or not--maybe a picture with a thin dark frame would suffice. The larger and more dramatic the contrast, the lower down I like it--something I only discovered when dark-stained floors came into fashion (so typically under light-slipcovered furniture). Love THEM.

So you can see why I'd automatically want the hutch in a value that would wouldn't stray far from the wall's and would blend harmoniously, although choosing the actual color would typically be a much harder decision. :)

BTW, I also love how you've arranged your shelves.

• makeithome
    13 years ago

inspiredisabel- Thanks so much for the additional pictures! You really have a great mix of color and texture. The room is beautiful. I trend more toward the contemporary, but I can totally appreciate how gorgeous your room is.

May I ask what color paint is on the walls?

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

I'm in loooooooooooove - gorgeous home.

I like the the way your second shelf looks now. How about spray painting the branch white (instead of the off white - this is the queen of off-white speaking!!!) to match your white dishes. I think that is what is throwing off the looks of the branch. It has such a nice shape I think it would be worth trying.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Pretty room!

A vote to paint the hutch .... creamy white ....

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your input! More eyes are always better in pointing out things I may not have seen.

olychick - thanks for the compliment!

arapaho - I LOVE Home Goods for everything but this room is a big mixture from there and sister stores, Jordans (a New England furn. store), and Ethan Allen.

joanie - thanks for the info - I will have to look into that.

rosie - you are right! I like to add some neutral brown to tone it down and so it doesn't get too girly or frou frou. : )

makeithome - no problem! It has been about 5 years since I painted but I believe it to be Contemplation by Behr.

betty - great idea! I think I may try painting it. For sure if the white plates stay because it looks "off" with them.

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

InspiredIsabel your room is truly inspired - everything in it is lovely. May I ask where you found that floor lamp that's to the left of the hutch?

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks decor! The floor lamp is from Pottery Barn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

You have a very lovely home! I won't add to the discussion re your shelf arrangement but I do like both of the displays.

I think the hutch would look great either painted or left as is. The natural wood tone is a nice contrast to your other painted pieces, if you're looking for that contrast, and it also complements your other wood cabinet. However, it would look very pretty painted, and I would choose either a creamy white or butter yellow.

Either way, new hardware will make the hutch even prettier.

• roch3
    13 years ago

Lovely home!!! You have gotten some good ideas and suggestions, and I have nothing to add.

I did want to add my compliments on the the hutch. I love your collection of items, and I'd love to know where you got those items. I desperately need to class up my sad sack china cabinet, and you've inspired me!!

• msrose
    13 years ago

inspiredisabel - Pictures like yours make me wish I had painted my house blue. Can you tell me where you got the mirror behind the slipcovered chairs?

Laurie

• loribee
    13 years ago

My first thought was NO- don't paint it as it balances your table top.
    Just adore your home! Sooo charming...hope to see more pix.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

If you decide to paint check out SW White Hyacinth. It is a deliciously creamy warm white that pairs beautifully w/ blues. It was used extensivley throughout the Country Living House of the Year (08/09?) along w/ SW Topsail and Requisite Gray.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I think I will pick up some hardware, easy enough to change out without a big commitment. Should I get ORB?

roch3 - thank you! Actually almost everything in the hutch is from Home Goods. Just the pewter bird and nest sugar and creamer set, gift shop, and the white bird s&p shakers from Pier 1.

msrose - I LOVE that mirror! I bought it at a local furniture store, Jordan's (in New England). They carry one of a kind accessories in addition to furniture.

lori - thanks!

ttodd - I will have to check out those colors! I've actually never used Sherwin Williams before, not even sure where to buy it! : P

• User
    13 years ago

inspiredisabel - beautiful home! Can you tell me about the shelf/cabinet that is below that fabulous mirror behind the slipcovered chairs? Is it a shelf attched to the wall, or is it a cabinet/piece of furniture? I would like to add something behind the couch, between it and the wall in my living room, but it needs to be something skinny (and cheap!). Trying to decide if I should just put skinny shelf at couch height, or try to find a very skinny console table. You won't be able to see anything but the top surface. Just want something so I can add some interest/items with height behind the couch. Hope that made sense. Can you tell me what your is? Thanks!

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Don't paint.

As for the arrangement. I like the branch but wonder if the shelf with all the pitchers is too much white. How about bringing maybe three down to the branch shelf and putting the white small birds on middle shelf and the silver small birds on the bottom shelf?

Love the flow from room to room.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jill - thank you! It's actually a built in base cabinet. There used to be built in shelves above it but my husband took them out to replace them with chunkier looking ones but never did. : P

This is how it looked about 5 years ago - I was going through more of a brown phase!

If you don't want to purchase a console table maybe find some really pretty wooden corbels (antique or not) to attach to the wall and then a shelf on top. But if you don't want to make it permanent there can be some inexpensive options for consoles. Target online always has lots of options.

hth!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I love your style!! Beautiful home, and I love all your chairs. What is the paint color in the last pic you posted?

Glad you've joined us and hope to "see" more of you.

tina

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tina! The color is called Contemplation by Behr.

Since finding the forums this past weekend I have spent way too much time here! :)

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you. That does help. I like it like you have now without those skinny shelves. I will check Target next time I'm there (love that place!).

And, I know what you mean. This place is addicting!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Here is a link to the Country Living 2008 House of the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Living 2008 House of the Year

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jill I would say to check online - there is a much bigger selection and they often have free shipping. The quality is usually good in my experience but it's not forever furniture if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: console tables

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH