SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Would you like to see a just started furniture re-do?

My3dogs ME zone 5A
12 years ago

I bought this old pine bureau for $30 at an old inn last November, and have just started to do finish work on it now. It was old and in rough shape, and had been found in pieces in the inn's cellar. (Craigslist photo)

I found a 4 1/2" x 5 1/2" fleur de lis stencil online, and it came on Friday. I painted a drawer with Ben Moore 'Symphony Blue' paint that I had a 2 oz. sample of, and did the stenciling in gold acrylic craft paint. The stenciling is a very slow process, as I have to lay the stencil on the drawer so many times to cover the whole front. The one drawer took hours to stencil.

I lightly sanded and waxed the drawer, with some light brown and dark brown BriWax, and put it in the bureau (in my little woodworking shop) to see how it would look. You can see that the bureau needed a lot of wood filler, and the back is out in this pic. I did want a 'aged imperfect' finish, hence the two colors of wax.

I knew I couldn't use the chunky round wooden knobs with this paint design, and I found these old pulls that I had taken off an old piece many years ago. I have 8 of them - just what I need! It takes a long time to do a drawer, so it'll be ages before it's done, but I am happy with it so far. I love the change that paint can make!

'Chijim' has been cheering me on via email, and last night he suggested for the top, 'I could see a border in darker wood, a blue center but with a pinstripe of gold, and maybe another narrow border of fleur de lis to mimic the leather inserts you see on desks, etc. I think some gold dry brushed on the spindles would carry the look too.'

He sent me this link to show what he meant for the top, and I think it's great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Expand the pic to see the detail

Comments (22)