SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

loud air return...causes/fix it ?

User
13 years ago

We had one large air return in the stairwell of our home. When we had a new Trane system installed the company told us we needed to add another smaller 2nd air return to increase the efficiency of the unit.

The discussion of placement was a problem and I finally let them place it in the wall of our bedroom. I explicitly explained that I was sensitive to noise. I was assured that it would be OK.

Of course it isn't OK. It is so loud that I can't sleep when the HVAC comes on. In summer we simply shut the unit off and have a ceiling fan and that is enough. In the winter though our old 1890 11 ft ceiling home gets too cold. The TM is so great that we can't let the house get that cold.

What are the reasons for an air return to be so loud ? Is there a solution , short of having the whole thing moved which would be a mess and expensive ? I have tried the test of opening the cover to see if it is due to a restriction in that area but it is just as noisy . Could it be that the duct is smaller at that point and that the noise is due to restricted air flow ? Any solutions would be much appreciated. I have been in homes where you couldn't tell the HVAC was on the returns were so quiet. c

Comments (22)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional