SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

My Modern-Aire/Abbaka is LOUD--please help!

hollylh
11 years ago

Hello all--we have a 1400 cfm 42" Modern-Aire liner and Abbaka remote blower, mounted on the wall outside our kitchen. When it was first installed about four years ago I was a bit disappointed at the noise level, given all the research I had done here and elsewhere, but it was quieter than our previous piece of junk and overall I was fine with it. However it seems to have gotten louder over the years. This was confirmed for me when i was at a friend's house for a Hanukkah party and held a long conversation with her right under her running island hood while she was making latkes, and never had to raise my voice! (and that vent had mesh no less, not baffles.) My vent has gotten loud enough that I can't wait to turn it off and hesitate to turn it on, which obviously reduces effectiveness!

Now we have an unrelated plumbing problem that is going to require us to open up the ceiling in the kitchen--serendipity! What should I look for when we have a view of the installation? When it was done we were in the middle of a kitchen reno and I didn't pay much attention. I do remember our GC saying this powerful vent was "like killing a squirrel with an elephant gun" so I would not be surprised if he was a bit careless. He did not have experience with this type of vent. I don't think I have a silencer so we could install one. Could we put more insulation?

The vent makes the same noise with or without the baffles in, oddly. It sounds like there might be something stuck in the motor (leaves?) but there is also just a lot of air noise. It is also quite loud in the room above.

I am hoping to upgrade soon to a more powerful cooktop (hence my other recent posts) and so I really hope I can quiet this thing down. Thank you so much everyone.

Comments (9)