SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjacobsnyc

Abbaka vs Greenheck - Rooftop Range Hood Blower

jjacobsnyc
9 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you who share your knowledge with this group. It�s an amazing resource!
We are at the tail end of a renovation of our 1905 attached brownstone in Brooklyn, NYC. At the very beginning of the project (before I even knew what CFM was!) we decided to convert our re-circulating range hood (a big c. 1961 stainless steel hood that sits over our similarly great 1961 Crown range) to one that would exhaust outside through the flat roof of our building. Converting the hood was a snap. Finding room for ducts and pipes without disturbing the architecture of the home was not! Between the architects and contractor, we figured a way to get the air out, but only had room for a 6-inch duct with two elbows over a 35 foot run. (First elbow is right out of the hood � duct goes horizontally about 10 feet through a soffit, then makes another turn and goes up about 25 feet to the roof). I didn�t realize how problematic this would be until now, when everything is done and we�re just looking for the blower for the roof.
My electrician worked with his supplier to spec a Greenheck blower (CUE-099-VG http://www.greenheck.com/products/detail/2) and meanwhile, my own research turned up the Abbaka HyEx 1.0 (http://www.dvorsons.com/Abbaka/pdf/HyEx.pdf). I�m now trying to decide between the two.
The Greenheck assembly costs about $500 more than the Abbaka. And, the warranty on the Abbaka is 7 years and the Greenheck only 1 year. But, my electrician feels much more comfortable going with the Greenheck as it was recommended by his supplier. My architects and contractor don�t have enough experience with these brands to offer an opinion. But I�m sure you guys do! Does anyone have an opinion on this? Pros? Cons? etc.? Thanks very much!
p.s. A little more detail: We are a family of 4. Our 40-inch range has 6 burners (don�t know the BTUs) but we rarely use more than 2 burners at a time. We don�t do a lot of high fat or smelly/smoky cooking, but occasionally like to make some bacon or pan fry a piece of fish.

This post was edited by jjinbrooklyn on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 7:11

Comments (18)