SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
civ_iv_fan

ventilation in finished basement laundry room in old house

civ_IV_fan
12 years ago

i have a 90 year old house with a finished basement. in general i am not happy with the air quality in the basement. most of the smells and mustiness seem to come from the laundry room, where i also keep the cat box. the laundry room is in the center of the basement under the stairs and smells seem to migrate up the stairwell to the rest of the house.

the laundry room has no ventilation, no window, and a non-louvered door. we keep the door open most of the time. i am thinking of adding a bathroom-type exhaust fan and cutting a ~ 100 sq. inch hole in the wall between the rest of the basement and the laundry room. this could double as a cat door and an air source since i would be exhausting air with the new fan if I put one in.

the basement is about 750 SF altogether and has two supply vents and no returns. the heating system itself is in a separate unfinished space in the basement.

it may also be worth mentioning that the laundry room shares a wall with a finished bath with an exhaust vent. so perhaps i could upsize that vent and cut a hole between the laundry room and the bath.

the basement is our family room and we spend a lot of time down there.

any ideas?

Comments (6)