SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parsonse1

Honeywell 8320 therm has a mind of its own!

Beth Parsons
15 years ago

Background - installed 2 new HVAC units in our 30+ year old home at the beginning of November. Both systems are 2 and 2 1/2 ton Nutone brand hybrids with HP and propane back up with one being a package unit. Dealer installed 2 Honeywell 8320 therms which have worked beautifully until now.

We're having a HUGE problem with the 8320's NOT following the programmed schedule! It will turn the temp down just fine and at t he right time, but whenever it's programmed to bring temps up at 'wake up' or 'return' settings, the therms are starting around 3 hours ahead of schedule! I've checked and double checked my schedule/clock and the 8320 is simply ignoring the wake up times. This morning, I woke at 4:30AM and the therm was set to 72 degrees even though it wasn't scheduled to come to that temp until 7AM. We set back to 55 at night and having the heat come on this early is an energy waster.

I realize that this therm has adaptive intelligence and will adjust itself to its environment, but this seems excessive. It's bringing the house up to temp just fine and very quickly so why does it feel the need to get a 2 1/2 hour head start? I've been awake since 4:30AM this morning and the system is simply cycling and maintaining temp and IMO had absolutely no reason to bring the temp up so early. This is happening with both systems, too. Can anyone offer any suggestions before I have to call the dealer out or rip the stupid therms out myself?

Comments (7)