SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robyncarr

Need Central Air / Heating system equipment advice

robyncarr
14 years ago

Hello - I'm looking for some expert advice from someone who is not trying to sell me their product! I have received quotes from contractors who install Trane, Ruud, York, Bryant and Goodsomething. Recieved a couple quotes for "2 zones", my husband seems to be partial to getting zones because sometimes we spend a lot of time upstairs, and sometimes we stay downstairs.

Our 2 story, 2100sqft house was built in 65, insulation is terrible, we're upgrading slowly and live in So CA, very hot in summer and very hot upstairs. Some of the original ducting is made of asbestos. The original system was a 5 ton. We are replacing everything.

Most all the estimates recommended a 5 ton. Husband wants the zones so here's some of whats been offered us so far:

Trane XL20condenser and XV80i furnace - 2 zones -also as an option: CleanEffects (99% air filtration)for an extra $500 -- I really like the idea of the air filter because my kid has really bad allergies. - or he said a Carrier Total Line EAC cleaner could be installed for $250.

Bryant 114ANA061 and either a 313JAV060110 (16seer) or 60100 (14seer) furnace - 2 zones

Ruud UARL-JEZ 2 stage and UGPR 2 stage 80% furnace - 2 zones (16 seer) (this one is more pricy than the prior two)

We are interested in the best performance and longevity of the system. Any suggestions, please?

Comments (6)