SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esga

General question before deciding on furnace contractor

esga
12 years ago

Is is possible that some houses are so small that contractors don't bother with Manual J when recommending furnaces? I ask because I've just had two very different companies come out, and I would have expected at least one of them to use correct procedures, based on their profile. Maybe my house is so small any unit is going to big enough? Or it's because it's both small and in the south?

I live in a 1350 sf, one story house outside Atlanta. I haven't seen written proposals from either one yet, but one told me he's going to give me a proposal including a good - better and best option, and he'll also include package deals for replacing the 13-year-old A/C at the same time as the furnace which just stopped working. THought this makes some sense, I am leery of a "deal" I didn't ask for - there are also rebates that expire in a week. This is one of the biggest contractors in the metro area.

The other is a small local outfit that does a lot of work around here and is well liked. The guy who came out told me he was only going to recommend one system, a Goodman Amana high-efficiency. The reason for this is that my crawl space requires some very awkward venting for which PVC is better than metal (but he is going to consult someone else before writing up the proposal). For other guy told me that it's hard to recover costs on high efficiency here due to our rather mild weather.

In the meantime, I have contacted a third company with a very good reputation.

I don't yet have the kind of specifics that others have posted here, but I am curious as to why the large, well-thought-of company seemed to eyeball it.

Thoughts?

Comments (4)