SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Happy New Year, Mom

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

and happy birthday!

My mom turned 82 yesterday. The new year is not starting out very promising, in her opinion. In mine, sometimes bad things are a blessing in disguise.

She was served a criminal summons for misdemeanor larceny on January 1st for the theft of a door-hanger snowman. 3 or 4 weeks ago my DH called to tell me that a cop was at my mom's house, searching the house for stolen property. He did not find anything.

A neighbor from a few blocks over saw her drive up, park, walk up to his house, take the snowman off his door and drive off. He stated that she grabbed it, ran and jumped in the car and sped off, yet he was able to get out of his house, into his truck and catch up with her to see where she lives. Yeah, right.

Well, he decided to press charges against her so she was served on 1/1. She is very upset, doesn't remember doing it, is embarrassed and ashamed to have to face a judge and is so fearful of being arrested and sent to jail. I have not been able to put her mind at ease about it.

NOw, the blessing in disguise... this has been going on for awhile now. Losing things, littering, cursing and forgetting things. Complete personality change. We have tried to get her to the Dr. for problems we believe is dementia related. But she would dig her heels in. Other than this she has no health issues so has not had to go to the Dr. for anything else. She doesn't have a choice now.

She has a Dr. appt next week. I'm not sure what to expect or what questions to ask. My guess would be they will start with some blood work, but what then?

I'm pretty sure that the judge will ask her to pay the man for the snowman, valued at $20, and that will be the end of it. But I know that one visit to the Dr. is not going to solve anything. Some advice would be appreciated.

Comments (11)