SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwu123

Samsung washers do use internal heater in normal modes

wwu123
14 years ago

I saw in multiple past topics that it is unclear whether the Samsung washers actually use the internal heater in other modes besides Sanitize (the only one specifically mentioned in the manual and by customer service to use the heater). So I decided to break out the trusty Kill-a-Watt power meter this weekend while doing several loads of laundry with my WF218. The results show it does in fact use the heater in several modes including Normal and Whites. Since the 218 is one of the lowest models, it's probably a good bet that all the current higher-end models also behave likewise.

The Kill-a-Watt shows at the outlet how may watts of power the washer is using at any given time. The 218 has a 900 watt heater, and only uses 50-250 watts when doing anything else, so it is easy to tell when the heater is running. I also used a small candy thermometer to check the water temp occasionally - it's probably accurate +/-5 degrees.

My hot water heater is just on the other side of the wall, so there's less then 10' of pipe and hose from the water heater to the washer. The hot water heater is set to 125 degrees, and my cold water is currently about 75 degrees.

I first ran a small load of Whites on H/C and light soil. With the pipes sitting cold and the washer drum cold, the fill ended up only at 95 degrees. The Samsung user manual defines Hot as 105-125 degrees - sure enough, once the fill was done and the drum started turning, the internal heater kicked in, as the Kill-a-Watt showed a jump of 900 watts. For this short wash cycle (less than 15 minutes), the water temp only got up to about 105 degrees near the end, and the heater never got a chance to shut off.

I aborted the cycle before the rinse and re-ran the cycle, so this time the clothes and the pipes were somewhat warmer. The heater still kicked in, but did shut off before the end of the wash, when the water temp was about 105 degrees.

I then ran several loads on Normal mode:

-large load with H/C

-medium load with W/C

-small load with H/C

The heater did not kick in on the first two, but did do so on the last one. I think that for small loads, the amount of water used is so small that not enough hot water makes it from the water heater to offset the cooler water standing in the pipes, whereas for larger loads the starting fill is significantly hotter. The hot loads were at about 105 degrees, and the warm load was at about 85-90 degrees (Samsung defines warm as 85-105 deg).

So the Samsungs do use the heater to regulate the temperature. However, a few additional observations:

-the heater only seemed to bring up the temp to about the low end of the range. So even though hot is 105-125 degrees, I didn't see hot get up near 125 deg, although the cycles I ran were on the short side (15-20 minutes before the rinse).

-the washer did not seem to adjust the wash cycle based on the temperature. Sometimes it took the whole cycle to bring the temp up to the correct range.

-hot and warm are much lower than what the European models seem to use. So while the heater is used, a 105 deg Hot felt merely warm, while 85 deg Warm was not even lukewarm.

-the washer does not always seem to be checking the temperature continuously, as towards the end of the cycles where it did not kick in, the water temp sometimes had cooled a bit below the specified range. So it might only check at a few specific points in the cycle.

So I hope this info is useful to folks who have or are considering Samsung's. I've been pleased with the cleaning performance of mine in six months of ownership, though one thing I'll probably do is wash more garments that specify warm water in the Hot cycle, and more that specify Cold in the warm cycle, as my temps don't get much above Samsung's minimums.

This did raise one odd question. My Hot washes weren't getting anywhere near my hot water heater's 125 degree setting. I noticed some of the higher-end Samsung's have an "Extra Hot" temperature advertised. However, when I look at their manuals, Extra Hot is not available for Normal or other modes, just Sanitize, which I also have. So is there really no such upgrade option as Extra Hot, just Sanitize at 150 degrees in all models?

Comments (22)