SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockmanor

ERV retrofit or alternative?

rockmanor
15 years ago

We have a nearly-new house with multiple HVAC systems and a need to address indoor air quality. We've had UV lights and media air filters (AccuClean) installed, and now want to look at how to introduce fresh air without increasing humidity or pollen count inside. I assume that an ERV is the way to go, correct? If not, what would be better? When there are multiple systems, is it enough to have one ERV per floor? Or could we even have one for the basement and one for the primary main floor system, and assume that the other areas, including the second floor which is somewhat open to the first floor, will draw a certain amount of fresh air from adjoining spaces?

OTOH, what if we skipped the ERVs altogether, and just bought filtered screens (to use during pollen season when regular screens are not adequate) for a few windows and simply opened those windows for a few minutes each day? I know that the filters would not do anything about the humidity, but if it's really high we could always run our portable dehumidifiers. I am guessing that filtered screens exist. We used to have a window fan, with adjustable sides, that had a washable filter, so that might be an option if it's still made.

Where we live, no one seems to have heard of IAQ or care. Builders install gas ranges with no exterior ventilation (just charcoal filters in OTR microwaves) and everyone but us thinks that's just fine. The costliest houses in the city are built with the lowest SEER ACs allowed by code, except for the rare custom house built for owners who know enough to demand better. Sorry to go off on a rant, but I'm presently dealing with humidity and mold issues that never would have happened if builders, and building inspectors here, had any sense.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (6)