SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deadtvs

Retrofit for long runs, energy savings

deadtvs
9 years ago

For the better part of a year, I've been researching options to achieve 2 goals:

1) eliminate/minimize long waits for hot water in master and 2nd bath (due to 50'-60' runs)
2) save a bit on propane costs

I've read up quite a bit on tankless (electric, gas, whole-house, multi-bath, point of use), tankless plus booster, recirc pump, mini-tank point of use, adding a separate electric heater, and everything in between. Unfortunately, everything that seems a "perfect" solution at first glance turns out to have downsides on further reading. Here are details on our situation:

1) Current heater is 50-gallon conventional propane heater in utility closet, approx. 50' from baths used by our family of 4. Takes over a minute to get hot water to master or kids bathroom, estimate 3 gallons water down the drain each time, plus xx dollars in heat loss in pipes.
2) Pipes run through 2 adjacent crawl spaces, approx. 40-45 degrees ambient at coldest point in winter. pipes are well-insulated, however.
3) Incoming water temps also in low 40's during winter.
4) Bathrooms in question are adjacent to each other, short plumbing runs between them, and plenty of crawlspace volume below them.
5) Crawlspace has existing 120V, 20-amp circuit that could be used; anything else would have to be added.
6) House has 200-amp service to the main.
7) I would say our hot water usage is light to moderate for a typical family of 4 (2 growing daughters). We are not wasteful types!

I'm pretty reluctant to run a propane line to the distant crawlspace/bathroom area, due to both expense, fire hazard, and especially because cost of propane is so elastic, and I expect it to rise faster than NG (which isn't an option, by the way). I'd be more inclined to run 240 service to the area, but only if I was pretty confident in the solution. Of course, I'd rather use the existing 120/20-amp circuit, if possible - it was used by an abandoned hot tub, so it's just sitting there at this point.

Here are my concerns/objections with the various options I've reviewed:

1) Recirc pump: would solve "instant hot water" issue, but likely increase costs a bit overall. Still hate the idea of heating "cold" pipes to get hot water to distant bathroooms.
2) Mini-tank (~ 6 gallon) on cold water line: would solve hot water to both bathroom sinks, but do nothing for shower/tub - obviously not enough volume.
3) Mini-tank on hot water line: potentially would solve instant hot water for all uses, but still heating those cold pipes, and concerned with temp fluctuation when cold mixes with hot as tank runs out.
4) Electric tankless: requires hefty 240V circuit (or two even) to barely achieve needed GPM. Also sounds like there are reliability and maintenance issues, plus not sure it would save any $$ in the end.
5) Gas tankless: would have to run new gas line, propane is expensive, difficult to install.
6) Separate electric heater (30-40 gallon) for bathrooms in question, in crawlspace: would solve instant hot water issue, would not have to heat cold pipes, but standby losses would likely end up costing more in long run? Probably have to add 240V circuit.

At this point, I've come close to ruling out tankless (though I haven't researched tankless + storage tank option much), and the other options seem to have roughly equal pros/cons.

Thanks for reading this novel - any thoughts, advice or ideas for options I might have missed are eagerly anticipated!

UPDATE: Right after I posted, I found this: http://www.thermon.com/aus/products.aspx?prodid=34. Has anyone heard of or used anything like this? I would think putting something like this on a timer (couple hours in morning an evening each) might be a simple, cost-effective solution?

This post was edited by deadtvs on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 11:34

Comments (12)