SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

So, Who Needs Knife Rests? Crystal coasters? Silver tongs?

User
11 years ago

Apparently, me.

In many areas of possessions I have downsized, edited and curated, to use the current jargon. (I'm 56 so I remember when we called it getting rid of junk!). I've long been a proponent of having fewer, nicer things. Not that many years ago I would have laughed at the notion of needing crystal coaster, but I used them several times at Christmas. They are not a multipurpose item; but, they're very well designed for one specific use.

A few times lately I have found myself wishing for knife rests so that guests would not have to hold them up when the plates are changed between courses. The forks go off with their plates, and if we use spoons it is for soup and that goes off with the bowl. The knife needs some place to rest while the dishes are being taken away and when I finally entertained the idea of buying knife rests I found some fabulous ones on eBay. Antique Lalique, modern glass, cute ceramic, lovely blue willow, filigree sterling--- everything you could imagine! I have also started buying vintage and antique silver tongs, as they are the best possible serving implements for a buffet (think fruit, veggies, small hot appetizers, etc). I had one, and during the past year have added three more, in really interesting shapes and patterns. My favorite has bird's talons as the grasping ends.

So while I have been downsizing in some ways I have been upsizing in others. Has anyone else out there started using something considered almost anachronistic? Like fish forks, or tiny salt cellars and spoons? bread plates? I have even thought about looking for some silver pushers, which I haven't seen or used since childhood. Am I becoming a Victorian crank or is there really some wonderful utility in an item that has one very narrowly defined purpose for which it is well designed?

Comments (36)