SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How does your garden grow? What's planted so far?

Lars
15 years ago

I finally made it to the Marina Garden Center for tomato plants and herbs. I don't remember exactly what I bought, but I got at least four different kinds of tomatoes, including San Marzano, Better Boy, Roma, etc. I got two pepper plants, a Chile de Arbol and a Tabasco. I think they are both hot, but I'm not interested in growing the very mild chilies - unless they come up from random seeds that I've planted, and so far they haven't. I got two pots of basil - an Italian basil and a sweet basil, but I don't know whether there is any difference in them. I also got another oregano plant even though I have some that are several years old - they just aren't producing like they used to. I didn't buy any more thyme, since what I have seems to be sufficient, although it may need repotting. If things don't do well, I think I will buy more plants in mid-July, and those will often last into the winter - especially the basil.

My lime tree just gave up its last lime, but there seem to be small ones on the tree, and so I might get some more shortly. The Meyer lemon tree is producing again, but not as prolifically as last year - it might be going through a cycle. I have so many oranges now that I have to throw them out, since I can't eat them as fast as they fall off the tree. DB won't eat them at all.

I'm going to have a huge fig season this year, from late July through all of August, and so I hope to have enough lemons to add to my fig preserves. I usually add oranges also, since I always have them. I would make orange marmalade, but we don't eat it.

I hope my tomatoes do better than last year. I don't know what happened, but I hardly got any tomatoes, and I had at least three plants that I took very good care of.

Lars

Comments (70)