Best uses for warming drawer
13 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Discussions
Do you use your warming drawer?
Comments (24)Andybp, most ovens won't go down in temperature as low as a warming drawer, though some warming drawers don't go low enough either. It depends on what you're using it for. For safety, food should be held at 140F at the very least. Ovens with a keep warm function will sometimes go that low. That's awfully hot for plate warming, however, especially if you have metallic decor on your plates. It's too much for rising dough as well. Some, including the Monogram, also have steam vents so you can adjust how much moisture you retain in the warming drawer, depending on what you have in it. Other functions for a warming drawer include recrisping cereal and crackers, and the one I just learned from Bluesbarby, storing bread! (I was trying to figure out where to put a bread drawer, and this is kind of perfect! Makes sense it would work, because it's sealed.) Another question is what's the ambient temperature of your kitchen? For each degree lower on your thermostat there's a corresponding increase in the speed at which your food cools. If sliced meat gets cold on the platter before the boys reach for seconds, you might be really happy to have and use a warming drawer regularly, even under the ovens. If your kitchen is toasty warm it's less of a must have....See MoreSlightly OT...How to use an oven as a warming drawer
Comments (10)As we all know from leaving food uncovered in the fridge, air dries things out. So does heat. Some humidity may help but it depends on what you're trying to keep warm. If it's crisp bread, you don't want the water. To some degree, covering food loosely in a warm oven -- 115 to 125 degrees is a good range -- will help keep it moist. How long will food keep warm? Again, that depends on the which foods. I routinely keep a sweet potato casserole covered and warm in the oven for 1 hour. Turkey is another matter. I usually leave that out, covered with foil and towels since the heat from the bones will keep it hot for quite a long time. If it is sliced and on a platter, however, I put some pan juices over it and would cover it with foil. It should stay easily for 45 mins that way. I don't feel the pan of water is as useful as foil in the oven. The shiny side reflects heat somewhat and the covering helps it to hold moisture in. Foods with high concentration of starch, sugar and fat will stay warm longer than lean foods. Think about a potato casserole in a low oven for an hour vs broccoli or asparagus (I reheat most plain vegetables in the microwave myself). There aren't rules to this because it depends so much on what you're trying to keep warm. But as a rule of thumb, nothing actually cooks below about 150-160 degrees -- which is the temperature at which an egg yolk begins to solidify....See MoreIs the Miele 24" warming drawer useful or too shallow
Comments (1)I've used my warming drawer about... maybe 10 times in two years (probably more like 5 tho). I thought it would be useful for keeping things hot, but most times it doesn't, just keeps them warm-ish, even on the highest setting. But maybe that's just me. I don't cook for many people (just two of us), and usually try to get everything done at the same time, so the warming drawer doesn't see much use. Only tried cooking in it once. Waste of time that was - I also have the Combi-steam oven and there's nothing I can't do in it that I could do in the warming drawer....See MoreHow much use would justify a warming drawer?
Comments (23)A warming drawer was something that was a want for me when I remodeled the kitchen from a flood. Originally, I wanted it to keep food warm so my dad doesn't have to cook for my mom and siblings all the time. This way, he can cook and keep food in the drawer for the kids when they come home. I was lucky enough to get a brand new Electrolux warming drawer for $250 when a large distributor moved their warehouse. Since I've installed it, I've used it constantly even though the kitchen is not finished. I use it about 3X a week for bread proofing. I also use it to keep food warm, heating plates, warming towels, making yogurt, etc. My husband used to think it was a useless appliance like the ice cream maker until he sees how often it's in use. BTW, our ice cream maker gets used every other day. It is installed right under our island counter so it's very convenient to use. I'm not sure how often I would use it if it's all the way down on the floor. I can't imagine having a kitchen without one now. I wouldn't want to use my oven as a warming drawer. It takes too long to heat up and lots of energy. I think it's one of those appliances that is only useful for some people....See More- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNEmbrace a Hot Trend With a Kitchen Warming Drawer
Serve food at just the right temperature with this increasingly popular appliance, coordinated to match your kitchen's style
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: “Call It the ‘Really Useful Stuff’ Drawer” and More
Houzz design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSweater Chic Warms Up Fall Interiors
Knits have escaped the drawer and are making themselves comfy all around the home, on pillows, throws, poufs and more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESConfident Color: When to Use Cool and Warm Hues
Change the Mood of a Room With Colors that Advance or Recede
Full Story
MORE ROOMSUse Draperies to Warm Up Your Rooms for Winter
Window coverings in rich colors and textures turn your space into a cozy retreat for fall and winter
Full Story
BRICKUse the Ruggedness of Brick to Warm Up Your Bath
Check out these stylish ways to add a bit of earthy character to the bathroom
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWhat to Know About Using Reclaimed Wood in the Kitchen
One-of-a-kind lumber warms a room and adds age and interest
Full Story
MOST POPULARMust-Try Color Combo: White With Warm Off-White
Avoid going too traditional and too clean by introducing an off-white palette that brings a touch of warmth and elegance
Full Story
HOME OFFICESWarm Up the Home Office With a Fine Wooden Desk
Let corporate settings keep their steely formality. These wooden desks for a home office celebrate natural beauty in all its glory
Full Story
Guest Picks: Warm Up With Red Accessories
Heat things up visually during the cold months with home decor sporting shades of crimson
Full Story

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m