SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kath_inseastpa

New boiler caused these issues?

kath_inseastpa
14 years ago

Just replaced oil boiler with gas boiler and these symptoms started immediately thereafter. Job took 4.5 days to complete, because had to have asbestos contractor remove asbestos and older boiler, then HVAC contractor install new boiler. DHW was shut off during the 4.5 days of work.

Issues

1) After 4.5 days with no DHW, I took a shower that evening after the new boiler was installed and DHW turned back on. Later that night I noted water dropping from the shower head. I turned it on and off, but still the drip continued at the rate of one gallon per 24 hours. It has never dripped before.

2) Two days later, for the first since the DHW had been turned back on, I turned on the hot water of the sitz bath(separate from the shower stall). It is now dripping at similar rate of shower. This faucet has never dripped. What would cause a drip to start after faucet was used, but not after DHW was turned back on?

3) The sink in this same room does not drip. The kitchen sink does not drip. These two faucets have been replaced in the last seven years. The two that are leaking are original from when I purchased home 7 years ago. Is it a coincidence? Can the water pressure have been set higher when the new system was put in?

THE BIG QUESTION - are the radiant pipes that run through my plaster ceiling that are probably the same age as the shower and bath fixtures possibly leaking? I get paralyzed with paranoia when I have this type of infracture work done, because of the potential domino effect.

4) Not enuf hot water when washing dishes. I hand wash dishes. I have noticed that the water runs hot when I am filling the sink. I turn water off. Then over the next 10 - 15 minutes, the hot water is turned on and off quickly to rinse each washed item. The water is barely warm during the rinsing, so that by the time I am done dishes, the sink is full of cool water. With old 55 year old, 30% efficiency oil boiler, water was warm if not hot when rinsing dishes.

How do I get hot water for short, quick demands?

Contractor is coming back Tues to finish job. Is there a connection between dripping faucets in bathroom and new system?

Thanks - Kath'

Comments (6)