SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

What do you think is causing this moisture issue?

sue36
14 years ago

I am curious to see what you think could be causing this issue. I know someone who has a new home, in New England, that is about 18 months old. It is a classic "builder" Colonial, about 2800 sf, vinyl sided, 2x6 construction, forced hot air heat, full basement. The walk-up attic was finished. There is fiberglass batt insulation, which I believe is R 30 since the roof rafters are 2x10. The heat ducts are in the knee walls. The wall between the attic and the kneewall space was not insulated. There are soffit vents and a roof vent and before the rafters were insulated the channels were put in place.

The attic is a terrarium. Major moisture issues. Mold on the insulation, which is quite wet. One opinion is that the kneewall wall should have been insulated, but I thought the proper way was the way it was done, with the kneewall being part of the conditioned space?

The cooking and bathroom vents do vent to the outside, but the bathroom vents are likely vented at the soffits (that's the way it is typically done by tract builders up here). To clarify, this is not a tract house. The homeowner acted as his own GC, so there is no builder to go after.

The homeowner has hired a private insurance adjuster and is looking for a remediation company to straighten this out and then he plans to go after his homeowners insurance (not sure why this is the insurance company's problem, but whatever).

The owner has not done anything to determine WHY there is so much moisture, which seems the obvious first step to me (and what I told him). This issue didn't exist last year when there were 2 fewer people living in the house. IMO, the first thing I would do is make sure the vents are being used (and if they go into vente soffit I would straighten that out in the Spring), I would get some dehumidifiers, and I would remove the bad insulation. It's possible the house needs a, what is it called?, an air exchanger. I know we were told we may eventually need one because out house is so tight (but there are only 2 of us here, not 4).

So, I am wondering what you all think. Part of the reason I want to know is that we plan to eventually finish our attic and I'd prefer to avoid this issue. So, what was done wrong? What is the right way to do it? And what can be done now that there is an issue? Thanks.

Comments (6)