SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Singin' The Cabrio Blues, OR Why I still hate Sears

herus
16 years ago

Have been reasonably happy with a 6600 (no agitator) Cabrio, purchased from Lowe's about 11 months ago. Did much reading here, then bought this. During that time had some extremely unpleasant experiences with Sears, which I posted here.

Well, it's happening again. The machine began to leak about 2 months ago. About a cupful during the rinse cycle, not a big amount and enough to be contained by one large towel on the floor. Because we have been busy, it took a while to call Whirlpool on it. The leak never changed or decreased/increased during this time, over many washes. No error messages at any time.

A&E, the service arm of Sears, sent a man over last Friday. He asked what the problem was, then said without touching the machine, "it's out of level". He said the leak would manifest itelsf from the front left corner. I told him however that our leak seemed to be from the opposite corner, right rear. He waved that away. He was done in 5 minutes, having leveled the legs. He had turned on the water for some two minutes, observed no leaks, and pronounced his job done.

When I asked if he was sure, he was very assertive and promised me the problem was history.

After he left, we started a wash. During the wash (not sure what part, as I was out and my wife wasn't paying attention), the washer LEAKED, as in a LOT, perhaps a bucketful. It flooded the LR floor and ran down to the basement, where there is a semi-finished storage room floored in plastic tile with painted drywall but no finished ceiling. We mopped everything up, noting the water streaked the drywall in several places.

We called the same man back right away, but he was too far away by now to return (so he claimed), and said he'd be back Monday. We then called Whirlpool and they said they'd try to get someone else out the same day (Friday) and would call back soon.

No call back all Friday. On Sunday, we called WP again and told them about the water damage and asked for a Monday visit. They said Tuesday is the soonest available, but they would have the local A&E call us first thing Monday to see if they could accommodate Monday.

Well, the 'first thing' turned out to be 2 PM, and they said no way for Monday, but Tuesday 9-noon. I took the morning off. They then called around 4 and said Tuesday 1-5 pm. I had to take the whole day off.

Now it is 3:40 pm Tuesday, and no sign or call from Sears.

We would like to take this up with Whirlpool or Lowe's, and demand a new washer. The laundry is piling up, we are worse off than before the call, and our basement and probably the first level subfloor has sustained water damage.

I.

HATE.

SEARS.

Besides warning you all, what can be done at this point? Yes, of course I will wait till 5 pm. But would Lowe's step in on this? We did purchase the extended warranty BTW.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida