SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whisperingwillow_gw

What is this desk? Should I paint or refinish?

whisperingwillow
13 years ago

My father gave me this desk a few weeks ago. It was in our living room when I was a child before my parents divorced, so it has some sentimental value to me. I haven't seen it in years so I have to admit with adult eyes, the desk was not as fantastic as I remembered. ;) Anyhow, I struggling with what to do with this piece. My father claims it's an antique but honestly after looking it over, it appears to be a cheap piece of furniture. My mother thinks it is a reproduction of an earlier style. She says she believes my grandparents bought the desk in the 50's. It does have solid wood pieces on most of it but I believe the drawer fronts are a veneer.

I would like to incorporate this into my home. I thought about painting the desk black and slightly distressing it but I have to admit there is a small part of me that would like to restore it to it's original glory but in a deeper stain color. I am unsure if it would look good or if those suspected veneer pieces will give me trouble when I apply the stain. Lots of detail in the desk and I see a lifetime of sanding. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: desk pics

Comments (12)