SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59_gw

I've been advised to replace what seems to be a good system

HomeChef59
9 years ago

House built in 1952. Brick cape cod on crawl space with small cellar basement in center of house.

Three zones of heat pumps. Main floor of house has 10 year old Trane heat pump with natural gas furnace emergency backup. This furnace is located in cellar basement in the center of the structure. The other systems are electric back up heat.

The problem is the main house HVAC system with the gas back up furnace.

We have a regular company that we have used long term to install and maintain the various systems. This company has been really successful in the past few years. It has grown to be a medium sized business, but has managed to retain many of their original people.

We noticed that we were getting some cracks and leakage around the plenum of the furnace. We called for our seasonal service. Our guy said that patching the plenum wasn't going to work any longer. He suggested that we call the sales/engineer guy out to take a look.

The following items were deemed deficient:

There aren't enough returns through out this part of the house.

The ductwork is leaking, there may be moisture issues. The ductwork needs replacing with insulated flexible ductwork.

The 10 year-old X14 Trane heat pump and the older natural gas furnace are both good, but not up to current standards.

Furthermore, we have an issue with the furnace exhaust pipe not meeting current code. It is a single pipe and not a double exhaust pipe. It is embedded in a interior wall to the roof and can't be accessed. We can't install a new exhaust through the cellar crawl space through the crawl space due to the grade of the structure. There is no where for a new exhaust to go.

The engineer first tried to figure out how he could install a package unit, heat pump/w furnace all on the exterior. He couldn't figure out how to run the lines under the house. (This would be placed where the current heat pump is located.)

He went to plan B, which was a new heat pump and gas furnace in the existing cellar area. But, the gas exhaust issues reared their head.

He went to plan C, which was a new heat pump with electric backup.

This would mean getting rid of a good, albeit aging heat pump and gas furnace.

I understand that I have to change all of my ducting. If he works on the gas, he has to change the flue out to meet code.

I don't like my options. I can get this all replaced in two weeks when the polar vortex moves out to the tune of about $20,000. Also, I'm considering limping along with a leaky plenum for the winter and fixing this in the Spring so I won't have to do without heat for a week. I could also call a few other companies to see if they have a better idea.

It's not about the price, but it is about the price. I hate to trash good equipment. There must be a better solution.

Comments (14)