SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

recipes for post oral surgery/dental implant

Lars
12 years ago

I had oral surgery this morning to get a dental implant to replace an upper left molar. I have two missing molars in my upper left and no other missing teeth except wisdom teeth. I lost the furthest back UL molar because it was so far back that the dentist could not work on it, and so I had it extracted rather than try to put a crown on it. It only barely touched my lower molar anyway because it was so far back, and I would gag every time a dentist would try to work on it, and I went to more than two. I didn't mind losing that tooth, but when the next one to it became too weak to support a crown, it had to be removed - there was too little tooth left for anything else. Since then I have been chewing on my right side and saving money for the implant. I had the money when I got my tax return but have waited until now to have the surgery done.

Long story short (or is it too late for that?), the surgery went fine, no bleeding that I could detect, and I am now on pain killers (Percocet 5-325, which I have never had before) and Amoxicillin antibiotic (probably just as a precaution). I just took my first doses about 30 minutes ago, and my stomach feels a bit upset, but I am drinking as much water as possible. I had breakfast at 9:00 (yogurt, granola, dried cherries), and I feel a bit hungry now, but I'm not sure what to eat, and I'm beginning to feel a bit dizzy.

Because of the surgery, here is what was recommended for the diet: Liquids and soft foods on the day of surgery and for the first operative days (did not specify how many). Avoid extremely hot and cold foods and foods that are high in acid content or that are very spicy. Foods that are hard and crunchy should be avoided for several weeks[!!!].

I normally eat a lot of hard and crunchy foods (I snack on nuts and pumpernickel pretzels at work), and so I guess those are out. I made a large batch of chicken stock a couple of days ago, and so I have that in stock as well as some instant Japanese soups. I'm wondering if pasta would be a good choice. I also stocked up on potatoes and onions for potato soup, and I'll probably make that for a late lunch.

What is interesting in the way of a liquid diet? I guess I should get my juicer down, if I'm not too dizzy, but I can't think of anything I have to juice.

My biggest problem is having to avoid spicy foods. Is that really necessary? I just stocked up on a bunch of Indian spices last Saturday and made a really good lentil soup using two new spice mixes that I found. I also bought a huge tub of Thai green curry paste that I am anxious to try.

Suddenly when certain foods are forbidden, I get a huge craving for them.

Any simple recipes you can recommend? I would like to add ice cream to the menu, but I'm afraid it would be bad for me due to the sugar, and I do not want to add to my dizziness.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Lars

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio