SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pussuskattus_gw

Anyone else having trouble with contractor and paint?

pussuskattus
13 years ago

Just want to see if I am the only one having trouble with paint colors from the painting contractor.....

After weeks of agonizing over paint colors, and changing my mind a dozen times, I finally selected the right colors for my main living areas and the bedrooms. One was a blend of two Sherwin-Williams colors on the same paint card, and the other was a standard Behr color.

Well, the paint contractor took my paint samples to the Sherwin-Williams store and had them color-matched. Of course, they bought all the paint (three coats' worth) before showing me the colors - and they bought the really thin, really cheap contractor-grade paint.

Well, the paint is nowhere near my color samples. Yes, I painted some on my big sample chip (24" by 36"). And, worse yet, it changes color every layer they put on! This is new construction, so the paint doesn't have a lot to cover up. The blue-grey is really, really blue, but gets less blue the more they put on. And the taupe with a gentle green undertone looks decidedly green, not taupe at all.

So I tell them to buy Duration for the last coat (yet to be applied), and that I will specify the color blend by going to the Sherwin-Williams store myself and getting samples and approving the samples, so they get it blended to the same recipe I've approved. (Then the girl cannot color-match my samples - she did not calibrate the computer and nothing comes out right, and she starts "free-styling" the blends.... but that's another story!)

Am I just being incredibly particular? My GC admits he is color blind, and my husband just shakes his head at me.

Had anyone else had trouble with getting paint to match because it is watery, cheap paint? Or am I the one with the problem, not the painters? I know whatever color there is in the paint gets to be "more" as the wall gets bigger (it does not take much blue in the grey to look really blue on a big wall!) But their paint does not even match my original at all.

Advice? Can someone "talk me off the ledge" before I go crazy?

Comments (10)