SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Za'atar

rachelellen
15 years ago

I have just discovered this spice mix, and have fallen in gastronomic lust with it.

It is a blend of powdered sumac berries, ground sesame, salt, and some strongly flavored green herb or other (different recipes abound) usually thyme, oregano, marjoram or savory.

For my experiment, I mixed 2 T dried savory, 2 T toasted, coarsely ground sesame, 3 T sumac & 1 t kosher salt.

So far, I've found it to be wonderful sprinkled on good bread that's been dipped in olive oil. It's very tasty indeed sprinkled on an assortment of cooked veggies sauced with a bit of butter or olive oil, and it was quite nice as well on chilled celery, radishes & olives as an appetizer. I am roasting a chicken tonight and will try it with that, and I used it to flavor a lamb, tomato & garbanzo bean stew that I served over couscous the other night...very good.

It's meant to be good with fish as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

Looking up Za'atar on the web, you find myriad variations in the ingredients and their proportions. Kind of like spaghetti sauce or meatloaf, everyone has their favorite mix. The sumac is the unifying ingredient, and it lends a sour flavor with just a hint of bitterness and a red color to the foods.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!