SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handsforasl

Feedback on 3D floorplans please

handsforasl
11 years ago

I am starting the process of redecorating! I live in a small ranch. The carpet is wall-to-wall neutral berber. Right now things are pretty mis-matched, but I'd like to ultimately follow a Scandinavian-meets-Zen style (minimalist, clean, some artsy color). I like whimsy and bright (eclectic), but I don't like clutter. Most eclectic styles are just full of "stuff" which I feel makes it cozy, but too cluttered.

Anyway, I'd love for some feedback on the 3D floorplans I put together. The colors are not 100% accurate - it's more for layout. I'm thinking neutral walls and white/birch veneer/shabby chic style woods in the family/dining room. The aquarium is a 55 gallon on a light oak stand. We don't yet have a dining set.

Notes (before anyone asks, no, we didn't choose the current colors for the dining/family rooms!)

Living room: There are two white shelves on either side of the window and they are staggered. The 3D plan shows four on either side because that's all the program would let me do. They cannot easily be removed (we tried and there is no wallpaper behind them, ugh). Current wall color is bright blue/aqua. The wallpaper is textured.

Dining room: The aquarium cannot be easily moved, but I am interested in putting something on the wall behind it. The wallpaper is textured and the current color is bright lime green. What's the consensus on an area rug on top of berber? Is this a design faux pas or can it work to help warm things up?

We decided not to remove the wallpaper. I'm thinking non-textured sheers for the windows with Venetian blinds for privacy at nighttime in light wood colored or white. Or perhaps curtains with a small-scale print. Thoughts about which blind/curtain color/material would work best in a small space?

Bedroom: I am not sure what to do with the bedroom. I want to enjoy the room and it currently feels like a prison. Very bare and not relaxing. Right now we have a dresser/mirror on the side wall. I felt a wardrobe would be more functional and a decorative mirror could go someplace else in the room, but the room is quite small. The bed is oriented the way it is shown in the floorplan. The door opens into the foot of the bed. It is kept open, but it does clear the end of the bed by about 2 inches when opening/closing it.

Someone suggested eliminating the dresser or wardrobe altogether and just doing two nightstands and renovating the closet to provide for more space. I like this idea. The only obstacle is the insanely small (6x3!!) closet so I'd have to get creative with the organizers.

The walls in the bedroom are a pale lime (freshly painted) and the duvet isthis one

My concern with eliminating the dresser/mirror is having so much empty wall/floor space. This is the part of me that's *not* minimalist. I can't stand bare walls to be honest. :-/ I don't know how to get that "cozy lived in" feeling without filling the space.

On the floorplans, you can toggle between 2D and 3D in the upper right corner.

Bedroom with nightstands
Bedroom with dresser/mirror

Dining room/family room 1
Dining room/family room 2
Dining room/family room 3

Comments (6)