SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

what do you do for exercise?

3katz4me
14 years ago

The older I get (52 now) the more concerned I get about continuing to exercise so I'm able to stay healthy and active as long as possible. I notice more what kind of lifestyle people have in their 70's and 80's and if they're really active how they've been able to do that. It seems like a lot of these people have been very fit and active all their lives - or continued to do physically hard work skipping some of the less labor intensive choices in their lives.

As some of you may have read in my other posts I'm an above knee amputee so some limits on what I can do for exercise - though I'm probably more limited by my level of motivation than any physical limitations. Today I went for a 40 minute walk and shoveled our front walk - which is about a 20-30 minute project. It was so great to be outside and I like doing something productive for exercise - like shoveling, yard work, etc. I even think of it as exercise when I carry a bunch of heavy groceries up from our lower level garage. There's not always a lot of "productive" stuff to do so I ride an exercise bike or walk most of the time. I kayak in the summer. Sometimes I hit the tennis ball if I can find a suitable partner who wants to just hit the ball back and forth (I'm not really competitive since I can't run). I have a 40 minute fitness ball routine that I really like to do but for some reason have lapsed on for months if not a year. I work a lot and time is scarce during the week so I ride the exercise bike for the cardiac benefits or walk for the osteoporosis benefit. The ball routine falls by the wayside.

What kind of exercise do you get - either through productive "work" or exercise just for the sake of exercise?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County