SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Basic lesson in heating needed - tell it to me like I'm 3 :)

peace_rose
14 years ago

We are halfway into our 15'x23' kitchen/dining room addition and are just now considering our heating options. (I know I should wear a bag over my head by sharing this). We admittedly we overlooked this aspect. So now we need to get a sense of what our options are.

The rest of the house has forced air - our furnace is 5 years old. The problem is that getting the ducts to the new addition will be cumbersome, if not impossible due to not being able to run ducts through the headers. It would also max out the furnace capacity (we are going from 1500 sf to 2200 total sf). It's pretty clear that we will need an alternative heating source for the addition.

Below the kitchen addition, we also dug out a new family room in the basement (by cutting an opening into the existing basement). Thus the upstairs addition is 350 sf, and the basement addition is 350 sf. It seems that the 2 rooms have opposing needs; the kitchen gets great sunshine and we don't think we'll actually need to turn on the heater very often, while the basement will probably need a constant heat source in the winter.

So what are our options?

We live in Denver; the climate here is actually quite mild (compared to say, the Midwest), but the furnace runs most of the winter. We have a swamp cooler and don't desire air conditioning. Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)