SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billybobjo_gw

Question on Portable Heat Pump

BillyBobJo
12 years ago

Y'all I've got me a little question on a new portable AC unit. I will add more details tommorw but I just want to ask a small question here.

So I recently bought me a big ol' 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with a Heat Pump. I got a KILLER deal on this bad boy at the flea market, its a De longhi probably worth $600-$900 its brand new in box and the Sharp one it had owners manuel everything there. It wasn't used or used very little as far as I know. I stole it for $90! They had no idea what it was worth! And I got another Sharp 10,000 BTU Portable unit for $50 discounted from $80 that they wanted for it! They had a bunch of them for these prices, damn I shoulda bought all of em and sold the rest!

Anyways, its a Dual Hose model. It has one intake hose for outside air and one for output of cold/hot air from the condenser/compressor so it don't create negative pressure and lose lots of efficiency. Great design!

However, summer is over and its getting into winter now, so I am now using it as a Heater for my room, it has a heat function as well so it blows out cold air through the hose.

My question is that I heard Y'all can't run ACs at temps below 50 Degrees or the compressor may be damaged. So is it ok to run this thing with both hoses in the window when its real cold out[Below 35 Degrees]? This means its intaking super cold air from the outside and blowing it over the compressor and at the time evaporator coil and blowing it out even colder. I would imagine these compressors are designed to take it, I mean some houses have Central Heat Pumps and People run those at freezing temps and the compressors outside. So I just wanted to make sure I ain't supposed to take the intake hose outside or anything. Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

Comments (19)