SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Programable 'Stat for Heat Pump?

chas045
9 years ago

I live in North Carolina in a two story well insulated modern home with a new basic (only 13 seer) heat pump upstairs and propane + AC (even lower efficiency) down. Our winter usually gets down in the 20s with some teens, but last year had three days down to seven above.

One of us is often home. Our old heat pump had a mechanical, manual thermostat. My wife particularly, and I too, prefer it much cooler while sleeping and we are not usually upstairs in the evening. I used to just turn the heat pump off in the evening, or set it back to 60 on those really cold nights. I mostly shut the downstairs unit off before bedtime all year.

On arising, I would turn the heat pump on while observing the mercury switch to just keep the heat strips off and then turn the downstairs unit on (BTW: large open foyer/stairway to second floor). Then make coffee, gently boost the HP 'stat, deliver coffee to DW and chat; nudge 'stat etc until comfy; usually 5 nudges or so.

I sort of assume that I could do the same with the new HP digital display 'stat, a Honeywell FocusPRO 5000. I assume the 'stat would tell me the strips are on or off. OTOH I sometimes see inexpensive programable stats and my question is if there is a way to set them with multiple steps or something, so they don't usually activate the heat strips, or even worse, turn on the AC if it is a little warm one day. I understand that the general recomendation is not to do big setbacks, but I don't see how we could sleep at 68-72.
I also see that there are ways to kill the heat strips with some outside thermometer. Is this reasonably easy to install without expensive added units. I am handy and equipped (not HVAC) and could pull wires to the attic and outside.

So, the question is, would a programable stat be worse than my manual stat with human intervention approach?

Comments (10)