SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceterisparibus

Heat Pump Efficiency/Moving Pump Question

ceterisparibus
14 years ago

Hi,

We bought a unit in a two unit new build in the mid-Atlantic last year. We have new Haier heat pumps. Our power bills are outrageous (not as bad the other unit up stairs). I've been told that heat pumps shouldn't be installed in homes north of South Carolina. Any truth to this?

Our walls don't have the best insulation, but we have all new doors and windows that don't seem to be drafty. My wife and I are extremely energy consciousness and keep everything unplugged that's not in use. We don't use heat in the house during the day, and keep the heat very low when we are here, and still have energy bills that are far higher than anything I've ever experienced. The upstairs unit's bills are astronomical. As a two unit HOA, we were thinking about getting something more efficient. Would anyone suggest putting in a new heating system?

Lastly, the heat pumps are located underneath our deck where they aren't exposed to the elements. However, they never get any sun in the winter or fresh air in the summer. It gets extremely hot down there when they are on in the summer and the air is very stale. Would it be better if they were moved out from under the deck? How much would something like this cost? They'd probably be moved 15 feet out into the open.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Comments (12)