SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwbeaver

Comfort Maker heat pump is running but not cooling/heating

mwbeaver
13 years ago

My Comfort Maker system is less than a year old but has an issue I need help diagnosing.

When it was first installed, in the summer, it ran fine but within a month stopped cooling. I assumed there was a leak and was able to get the original installer (o.i.) to come back and check it. The o.i. said "There is no leak. The refrigerant lines are getting blocked and need to be vacuumed out and re-filled." Which he did on three occasions because every time within a few days it would stop transferring heat. Soon the o.i. was MIA.

My home warranty sent me service company "A" who basically said, "I don't know what the problem is but it might be a leak in your traveling lines, which are not covered by the warranty. Goodbye."

I brought in a highly recommended (and expensive) service company "B" who said, "The TXV needs to be replaced. It's failure is causing the refrigerant lines to get blocked. Also, the compressor is making a lot more noise than is normal and may need to be replaced. Also having an acid test done might be a good idea to see if there are further compressor related problems."

Since the TXV and compressor was covered by my warranty, I asked my home warranty for a second opinion and they sent service company "C" who recognised the need for a new compressor and I suggested he replace the TXV. He made the repairs and it worked.

It worked wonderfully for about 5 days until I switched the thermostat to "OFF" because I was going away for a day and didn't want to waste money on cooling an empty house. When I returned and switched it back to "COOL" the unit ran but after two hours without dropping the house a degree I checked the condensing unit and the pipe supplying the cold refrigerant was cool but not even cold enough produce condensate on a 90 degree humid day. I gave it 4 more hours without a difference before I turned it off to not ruin the compressor.

I think that switching the T-stat "OFF" is a key part. After the original install I did turn the T-stat off at some point, and there after I noticed it was no longer cooling.

Any suggestions on what the problems could be, and how I can best get it resolved? I've been dealing with this for a year, my warranty is up at the end of August.

Comment

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm