SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boschboy

My Experience Getting Kitchen Cabinet Quotes

boschboy
12 years ago

Hi all. This is my first time posting to the kitchen site. I have been reading GW daily for over a year gaining valuable knowledge and trying to learn from the advice of others. I am about to start on my kitchen project and will purchase my cabinets this evening.

Firstly, I do plan on demoing my kitchen and installing the cabinets myself. My floor plan is changing very little. The only major floor-plan changes are moving my double oven from one side of the kitchen to the other and extending the island. I wanted to keep construction work to a minimum. My house was built in 1996 and I am happy with the open layout. I purchased the appliances last year and will not need to make too many additions. (I finally get my vent hood though!!) My total budget for cabinets and counter is about 25K.

I have read so many posts about Big Box stores vs. small independent dealers. I decided to get quotes from both and see how things went. I started off by going to Lowes with my measurements and wish lists for the new cabinets. I had a very helpful salesperson that listened and was able to build a 3-D kitchen for me in about 2 hours. I had been thinking about Kraftmaid cabinets for about a year, so Lowes was the logical place to go. The quote came in within my budget.

Next I contacted 2 local, independent cabinet makers that sold Wellborn and another semi-custom brand. I scheduled both to come out to the house and take measurements for a quote. Both companies were prompt, came out for measurements and discussed my plans. One local company never called me back and the other seemed disinterested once they learned I wanted to install them myself.

I was disappointed in the local, independent stores and wanted at least one more quote. On a whim I decided to take my measurements to Home Depot just to see what they had to offer for Kraftmaid. I worked with our local store's full time kitchen planner for many hours and came away with a detailed design and a lot of extra measurements she wanted me to make. I learned so much from her over the past few weeks and am very excited about the cabinets.

FYI: when I did a same to same comparison (same door, stain, construction) between HD and Lowes, HD actually came out with a lower per piece.

In case anyone is interested I am ordering Kraftmaid Holace Cherry Square doors with the Kaffe stain.

http://www.kraftmaid.com/products/cabinet-doors/493/?src=searchDef&query=Holace+Cherry#/f:kaffe

I cannot wait to get started on this project. I am sure there will unforeseen issues, but hopefully the knowledge I have gained from this community over the past will help me handle them.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz