SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wintertime_gw

Please share your experience getting cabinet quotes

wintertime
15 years ago

I am in the process of finalizing my layout, thanks so much to the feedback from this site, and have been doing the run around looking for cabinets.

I want high gloss very modern, minimal cabinets.

My options are so limited!

Here is what I've come down to: for the look I want Ikea seems the obvious choice. The problem is that if I go Ikea I am stuck with all white cabinets. I wanted the blue/grey glass doors as a feature wall, but I don't think I can make it work with the limited glass door sizes. This would mean that this wall remains white. The walls in the kitchen are white already and I worry about competing colours. this does not bother me for the undercounter cabs in the main galley since they are not against a wall.

I went to local mid-range custom shop and was disapointed to find that they don't do high gloss. It was doubly disapointing since the experience was so positive. I gave them my drawings, they are giving me a quote with new drawings. So positive, but I can't get what I want from them.

I finally went to "the" kitchen place in town. They do anything you want. Any wood, any finish, anything.

With this shop I could have the pale grey cabinets that I really want. I can colour match anything, do anything. I don't know how much it would cost to go with this shop because they don't give quotes unless you pay an $800 design fee. This really bothers me, I don't expect to get anything for free, but all I wanted was a ballpark. Is is going to be 15k or 65k??? The problem is, I am really tempted to go with them to get EXACTLY what I want but I dont' see the sense in spending the money when I could get close with Ikea at 1/8 the cost.

Has anyone combined companies? I could go with the fancy shop for my feature wall then with Ikea for the under counter cabs.

The other consideration is that I am doing the master bath as well. The fancy shop is a whole reno place that I could get to do both the kitchen and the bath. It would be much more convenient and maybe not that much more than what I am planning: contractor to do install, plum, electric while I source everything myself.

This is so frustrating. I wish I wanted wood or wood-like cabinets then I could get them anywhere.

Comments (22)