SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi1023

Miele 4842

bobbi1023
13 years ago

Last week my Miele 4842 washing machine arrived! This is my very first front loader and so its a big learning curve for me. I tried my first load and from reading on this forum for the past 6 months before purchasing my machine, I decided to start with 3 tblsps. of detergent. There were no suds to speak of, nor was there any real water either..to my horror! I was rather expecting maybe 2 or 3 inches of water to be seen swishing around the glass window. The laundry seemed clean and rinsed well, but then my laundry isn't exactly filthy, dirty to begin with! Next I try a load of towels. They washed yet again no real suds or water. I put them in the dryer and they came out scratchy. I've never had scratchy towels. EVER! I stopped using fabric softner about 7 years ago. I want as little chemicals as possible. My hubby was not happy with the towels. Oh I happened to use Nature Clean detergent. Its a hypoallergenic natural detergent, made in Canada. I thought maybe this might be the issue. So the following day I spent going to supermarkets looking at all the brands of detergent. I knew I wanted nothing with an optical brightener for sure! I thought I might be able to live with an enzyme (but still hesitant and figured that could be used on non clothes). I purchased HE Zero, complete laundry, Tide Free and Seventh Generation. So I gave each detergent a try. The Zero I tried with the towels again. Oh my word! I had suds, way too many suds! I ran the machine thru two more cycles just to get rid of the suds. Towels again were horrid.The tide free and seventh generation barely suds, which I thought was good, I think! Yesterday I went looking for the dirtiest bit of laundry, the backdoor mat. It's a thick plushy ivory coloured mat. The test was on to see if Nature Clean actually cleaned. I used did a custom cycle with cold water and high spin. I threw three old dog towels with the mat. No suds to speak of yet again! Hardly any rinse water, yet to my shocking delight, the mat came out sparkling, better than it ever did in my top loader with two cycles. So I believe that this load showed me that I do not need to see any suds (I used 1/4 cup of detergent) nor do I need to see any real water either. This is all so new and a bit frightening. Day one I really thought I had made a huge mistake by getting a front loader, let alone spending such a horrid amount of money. I am feeling a bit better. Although the towels are still a huge problem. I figure since they dry in the dryer so quickly there is not enuff fluff time and in the case of cottons, not enough get the wrinkles out. I started to use the permanent press cycle on my dryer, so that it gives a much longer cycle. This has worked great for clothes,but those darn towels are still an issue. I am not sure if I have toasted my towels on sanitize and that nothing will bring the softness back. I am thinking of going and purchasing new towels and washing them only on warm and seeing how that goes. Any ideas for me? Also I am pondering to try to get into the programming mode and finding the water+ feature, since I have whole house water softner. Our water here is very very hard (60 grains). If I get brave enough to do the programming after I make my selection, do I simply hit cancel to get out of the mode? No one has spoken of what you do after you make your selections. How does one get out of the programming mode. I own a Miele dishwasher and am use to programming the water hardness feature for it, so I am familiar. Or would it be wiser on my part to call Miele and have them send out a tech to do this for me? Is it a free service, or will it cost me the usual 200 dollars for him to come and do it? Its all a bit overwhelming at the moment. I would appreciate feedback on...should I have suds? should I try to programme water+ myself or should I just pay the tech to do it? Thanks in advance....bobbi1023

Comments (27)