SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Vestibular Problem in Cats? Toxoplasmosis?

Bethpen
10 years ago

DD found our fifteen year old cat Olive hiding under a bed yesterday, howling and cowering. When she finally coaxed her out, poor Olive wasn't walking correctly and was holding her head funny. DH and I were in NH, about 3.5 hours away.

Not knowing what to do, I sent DD to the Emergency Vet. They said that Olive has a Vestibular disturbance that could be from an infection or perhaps a tumor. She spent the night there, to the tune of $1,100. Some of the blood tests were sent out, so they are waiting to hear if it is Toxoplasmosis, or if the other tests point in any specific direction. Since Olive is a big fan of being outside, eating baby bunnies and mice, I'm guessing this is the problem.

We brought her home, as they wanted $300 to keep her another night. DS and I have taken turns holding her, which seems to slow the vertigo down a bit. She actually just put herself into the crate, which I think feels safe. Tomorrow we have an appointment with our regular vet. I feel like the ER vet was more about racking up the bill than providing compassionate care for a scared, older cat. Honestly, I felt like they were sizing up my jewelry to see what we could pay.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with toxoplasmosis or the Vestibular dizziness. We think she had a toxo infection when we first got her, she was hospitalized for several days back then, but has been super healthy (and kinda mean) since then.

Thanks!

Beth P.

Comments (9)