SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Moving to a condo from single family home

3katz4me
10 years ago

We're 56 & 57 and starting to think about making some changes thinking ahead toward retirement or just lifestyle changes that may be desired or required as we age. We currently have two homes - main residence and a year round lake home. We're getting to the point where we'd rather not be doing all the work required for two homes and I've been looking online at mostly town homes but recently expanded the search to condos. This would be in lieu of our primary residence. Found a couple in our price range in a convenient location. Association fees aren't too bad. The building is about eight years old.

DH really thinks he'd like a condo as he's lived away in apartments/condos for some work assignments and didn't mind the multi family dwelling. I'm wondering though what all we need to consider besides the fact we'd be moving from a 1.5 acre totally private wooded lot into a semi urban area with relatively no privacy in comparison. We do go to our lake place a lot on weekends and mostly just work during the week. We deal with an HOA where we live now so aware of the pitfalls of that but it could be quite different in a condo association.

Has anyone made this kind of change? If so what was your experience and any advice?

Comments (22)