SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Filling for strawberry tart

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

OK, I am going to make some strawberry tarts for a dinner dessert tomorrow evening, and I'm going to use the those little phyllo cups for the base. As per usual for me, I want them to be "lite" so not super rich ingredients, hence starting with the phyllo cups. I have made these tarts before, and my usual method is to buy some canned lowfat pudding or use tofu pudding for the base and then add my homeade preserves and fresh fruit as the topping. They are good. But this time I'd like to go homeade filling for somthing slightly more upscale. I've looked online and I see two schools of thought--cream cheese with sugar, or custard. The cream cheese with sugar sounds easy, (I'd use lower fat neufatchel) but pedestrian. The custard sounds fattening. Does it have to be? I can make lower fat homeade pudding. Come to think of it I could make parfaits with pudding layered with strawberries flavored with my strawberry rhubarb sauce.

I dunno. Strawberries and rhubarb are so good on their own. I'm thinking phyllo tart only because it is closer to pie, which is more traditional. I could even use real store bought pie crust as the bottom layer, I've done that too. That's somewhat of a calorie savings since with fruit pie the bigtime calories are in the crust. But then a rich filling counters any calorie saving benefits of leaving off the top crust.

Any experiences, idea or opinions? I'm not going to go the full fat route, that just doesn't fit my moderate lifestyle.

Comment

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County