SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How many of you are getting rid of blinds?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

My mom had to call to tell me again (told me a few months ago) about recall on roman blinds "like mine". I guess this is a big one, she said JCP has to take them back or send me retrofit kit. I looked online at www.windowcoverings.org and still the same recommendations (don't tie cords together, use cord stops, cleats, replace pre-2001 blinds/shades with newer, safer - note not "safe" just "safer") and the same retrofit kits. What they want you to do is pull the cords out of the backs of your romans and use a big ring to hook all the loops/rings on the folds together vertically. Each time you want to lower the blind you unhook the loops, to raise you hook them back on. Same as the "balloon" shade I have from SSC.

I have cordless romans in DD's room, but they still have exposed cords in the back - guess those should be recalled too.

But how many of you are going to replace your blinds/shades or retrofit them with the kit I described above? How many of you with school-age kids are just going to warn them not to play with the cords?

I guess there's no answer to dangling cords except use cleats to wind them up out of reach (I haven't gotten cleats installed on mine yet except the long cords for the patio door blinds, which still hang to the floor since they're 72" long), but as far as the exposed cords on the backs of romans, what about fabric tape (iron-on?) covering the cords between the loops so a kid can't stick his/her head b/t the cord and the shade?

Comments (4)