SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wearybuilder

good grief...CPAP

wearybuilder
11 years ago

I did a sleep study just before xmas break...looks like I've got sleep apnea and will need a cpap. I am so tired, I don't even know what questions to ask when I go for my appointment in January. Anybody have advice or good questions I should ask?

Ugh...and thank you :/

Comments (2)

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

The pharmacy or place that supplies your machine should have an educational session with you and explain everything in depth. My SO has one and loves it-wouldn't think of traveling without it. His energy level is much greater now that he is getting a good nights sleep and I am sleeping better with no snoring to keep me awake! He put off the test until his friend was diagnosed with CHF that doctors think was caused from undiagnosed sleep apnea. My SO is also very claustrophobic, so was sure he couldn't stand the mask, but adapted very quickly. Sorry, I can't think of any questions to ask as we had such a thorough educational session when we got the machine and the pharmacy is just a phone call away if we need anything. Good luck!

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I never snored, but prior to having some surgery, they ordered a sleep study and it turned out that I had apnea. So I ended up with a machine. I was eligible to use the nasal cushion, not the full face mask.

It did take me a while to get used to it, but now I am used to it, in fact, I had a terrible night sleep on Christmas Eve because I forgot to bring it to my DD's.

During my 'fitting' they had a class on how to use the machine and I met with a tech who had it calibrated to my recommended prescription pressure. It started out at low pressure, but then worked up to the higher setting. My machine also has a water reservoir, so that is nice, as your nasal passages will get very dry.

Use Ayr nasal gel, it helps keep your nostrils lubricated, and I use a saline spray each morning to lubricate my sinuses. I was worried the sound would bother DH, but it doesn't. My biggest complaint is that I tend to fiddle with it during the night and keep readjusting it. I have also found that I don't toss & turn as much. It packs easily, so i can use it travelling, Caroline, perhaps they have a battery operated one?