SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gori_gw

AC and Furnace vs. Hyrbid Heat Pump system

gori
14 years ago

I know this isn't the Heating and Cooling forums, but I figured maybe an HVAC guy/gal browses here, or maybe someone else has been through this.

Anyway, we are looking at replacing our current furnace and central air and the guy has reccomended two options: One is a straight replacement of each unit, the other is using a hybrid system (heat pump for cooling, heat pump + furnace for heating)

I live in Louisville KY which has a heating design temp of 11F and a cooling desing temp of 90F. By my caluclations, over the last ten years we have averaged 1442 cooling degree days, and 4541 heating degree days.

The hybrid would probably kick in around 32F. Annual numbers for temp data listed below.

Normal Number of Days with:

90° or more 33.2

Low 32° or Lower 82.6

High 32° or Lower 17.8

0° or less 1.4

My current rates:

Gas- $0.68263/100 cf = 1 therm

Electric- $0.06658/kWh or $1.9507/therm

From what I have read, a heat pump with an HSPF rating of 6.8 corresponds to a COP of around 2. Using the above numbers, $1.9507/$0.68623, It looks like I would need a COP of 2.9 or greater for the heat pump to make sense.

However, the HSPF is for annual usage, and since the COP goes down as the temperature differential is higher (between outside and inside), it would make sense that a heat pump with the same HSPF rating would have a lower COP if only used in situations where the temperature was So has anyone been in similar circumstances? Anyone know what HSPF rating should I look for on a heat pump if I am using it in the conditions above?

Comments (2)