SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edward_o

hvac sawpout in south florida -correct system for small ah space?

edward_o
13 years ago

I have been visited by seven contractors and only three said they could fit a 16 SEER system due to the small size of my air handler closet (only 36" w x 18"d x 80" h. I have modified the bi-fold door so there is 22.75" depth clearance.) One company took a large deposit. The installers from that company came by one more time to look at the situation. They said they could not do it with the two brands they carry. It took EIGHT weeks to get my deposit back. I first signed a contract on June 30 and still have not had the system replaced.

Two companies have given me quotes. Both had similar Manual J calculations. I am amazed that 5 companies would not do a Manual J calc. I pay after installation (see above)

What do you think of these 16 SEER systems?:

System 1

Rheem 14AJM030 2.5 Ton

Rheem RBHB17J06 AH

System 2

Trane 4TTR6030E1000A 2.5 ton

Trane 4TEE3F40B1000B

Thermostat Pro1-IAQ T705

I am leaning towards system 2.

Will these systems fit? I am leaning towards better quality system. Is there a better appropriate thermostat. Are these components appropriately matched?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

From previous post---

AC Replacement - cannot find Air Handler to fit space

I have just had an installer cancel installation for an AC swap out of the entire system. Even with a closet modification they said there just was not enough space to install the handler that went with a SEER 16 system. (at least for the brand they carried.)

I have a small 1200 sf South Florida interior unit townhouse that has an "apartment" sized 15 year old Goodman AW30-08c air handler upflow closet front return and 2.5 ton unit outside. All the lines and power are connected to the left side - not the front. The company that canceled did a Manual J calculation and said my unit only need a 2 ton system (interior unit with few windows and a garage with a high roof on the west end of the unit.)

The closet that the handler needs to fit into is only 36" w x 18"d x 80" h. I have modified the bi-fold door so there is 22.75" depth clearance.

I had two other companies come out, said they would do some research, and never bother to call back.

Is there ANY company that that makes a 16 SEER or higher system that will accommodate my needs? I am not so interested in Goodman, but would take that if it is the only choice.

ANY help is really appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!