SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
constantinople_gw

Mini Split System in New Construction

constantinople
13 years ago

Has anyone chosen to install a mini split system (Mistsu Mr. Slim, Fujitsu Hybrid Flex Inverter, etc.; Daikin is not availably in my area) in new construction? I have seen lots of discussion in remodel / old construction applications, but not too much about new construction applications.

We are building a 4800 sq. ft. home with divided living spaces (generational home). We have two master bedrooms, two kitchens, etc. with a total of 5 bedrooms, 10 total rooms that would need to be cooled directly or indirectly. We had planned on two traditional forced air systems with separate thermostats, basically creating two zones. However, in looking at some the split system literature, I wonder if that might be a possible alternative. We do have to rooms with vaulting that will make duct work challenging, though not impossible. This might be alleviated with the split system. Two zones is nice, but wouldn't 4 - 8 "zones" be better?

Besides the aesthetics, are there any drawbacks or is this a situation that might benefit from this solution?

I haven't spoken to any dealer and have no pricing info.

Quoted systems we were planning to install is:

1 RUUD 90K BTU, 4 ton, 13 seer

1 RUUD 60K BTU, 3 ton, 13 seer

A heat pump upgrade was a minimal upcharge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (15)