SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Chewy Chocolate Meringue Cookies

ann_t
11 years ago

If you love chocolate you will love these cookies.

Sooooooo goooooood!!!!!!

Rich Chocolatey goodness without butter or flour.

Quick and easy to make too. Just one bowl.

The recipe calls for both chocolate chips and dried cranberries. I skipped the cranberries and used milk chocolate chips.

Chewy Chocolate Meringue Cookies

Source:

Wives with Knives/The Cafe Sucre Farine

3 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2-1/2 cups chocolate chips

4 egg whites

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

optional ingredients: dried cranberries, dried cherries, toffee bits

Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Stir in chocolate chips. Add egg whites and vanilla; mix with a fork or electric mixer on medium until batter is just moistened. (Do not overbeat or batter will stiffen.)

Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds. Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Cool briefly, then carefully remove from parchment paper with a spatula. Cookies may be soft and fragile so proceed carefully to lift cookies and place them on racks to cool. Do not wait too long to remove them from baking sheets, for they will stick, even to parchment paper. Repeat with remaining batter. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Notes

ChrisâÂÂs (The Cafe Sucre Farine) notes:

~ I found that slightly rounded teaspoons of batter work best. I tried making bigger ones and they did not bake as nicely. Also, make sure to leave plenty of room around each one as they will spread.

~ When I made these cookies I found, through trial and error, that if I lightly buttered the parchment paper, then left the cookies right on the paper till they were cool there was no problem removing them.

~ I tried them with 2 cups of chocolate chips and a cup of roughy chopped dried cherries �" fabulous!

I also tried them with 2 cups of chocolate chips and 1 cup of toffee bits, even better!!

Comments (20)